ORGANIZATION OF THE GENERAL MISSIONARY BAPTIST
WOMEN'S EDUCATIONAL CONVENTION
OF THE WEST.
In the summer of 1890 Misses H. F. Sutton and G. M.
Gayles sent out circulars to each of the various societies
affiliating with the State Convention, requesting them to
send delegates to Shaws, Miss., for the purpose of organ¬
izing a state body of women, under the auspices of the
In pursuance to this call 36 delegates met and organ¬
ized with Miss H. T. Sutton as president and Miss G. A.
M. Gayles as setretary.
The society had for its object, "to foster the educa¬
tional and missionary interest of the Baptiists of Missis¬
On the 17th of July 1891 the second annual session of
this convention was held at Meridian, Miss.
Thirty societies were represented by forty-three del¬
egates, of which the following seven were life members:
Sisters C. C. Perkins, S. J. Slaughter, S. N. Johnson,
Clara Maxon, A. E. Williams, Ann Banks and D. L.
The following were nominated and elected officers
for the ensuing term :
President, Mrs. L. B. Dixon, Yazoo City.
1st Vice-President, Mrs. P W. Walker, Greenville.
2nd Vice-President, Miss Hattie Sutton, Mound
Secretary, Georgia A. M. Gayles, Gaylesville.
Assistant Secretary, J. R. Anderson, Greenville.
Treasurer, Mrs. L. E. Chew, Gaylesville.
General Agent, N. W Cholman, Greenville.
Corresponding Secretary, S. J. Straighter, Greenville.
BOARD OF MANAGERS.
Mrs. L. B. Dixon, Yazoo City : Mrs. S. J. Straighter,
Greenville; Mrs. L. E. Chew, Gaylesville ; Mrs. A. E.'Wil¬
liams, Greenville ; Mrs. Phillis Wallace, Shaws ; Mrs. L.
V Freeman, Avondale: Mrs. J. R. Addison, Greenville;