sociation, affiliated with the corresponding delegates
from the Jackson association, agreed upon the or¬
ganization of the general body July 1872. It was
afterward known as the General Missionary Baptist
Association of Mississippi. They referred their action
to the Jackson association for approval or rejection,
and in the event of concurrence the Jackson associa¬
tion was to name the place and time to meet for or¬
ganization. The Jackson association very cheerfully
accepted the work done by their delegates and named
Columbus, Miss., as the place and Oct. 2d as the time
for these and other associations to meet in conven¬
tion for the formation of the General Association of
ORGANIZATION OF GENERAL ASSOCIATION.
On October 2, 1872, delegates from five associations
met in Columbus, Miss., for the purpose of organizing the
General Association. It was the sense of those present
that preparatory work ought to be done in convention.
Whereupon it was called to order by Elder J. P. Boulden.
Elder A. Goodwin of Brooksville was chosen president.
The business common to such bodies was accomplished,
such as finding out who were authorized delegates, and
mapping out the proper course to pursue. The following
associations were found represented: Jackson associa¬
tion by Elders. Wm. Weakly, J. C. Brinstson, D. Adams,
et al. Mt. Olivet by A. Hendersod, A. Goodwin, J. F.
Boulden, et al. Zion association by Elders. A. Logan, J.
Harvey, C. Maxwell, et al. Spring Hill association by
Elders J. Brinston, J. Brantley, et al. After concluding
the work of the convention it was adjourned sine die.
They then resolved themselves into the General Mission¬
ary Baptist Association of Mississippi, electing Eld. J. C.
Brinston of the Spring Hill association, moderator; J. W.
muse of the Mt. Olivet association, clerk; BrotherC.Max¬
well of the Zion association, assistant clerk; A. Henderson
of Mt. Olivet, treasurer.
After organizing Rev. Dr. Boulden then deliv-