affairs continued till the war broke out in 1861, at
which time the white people deserted their church,
(Wall Street) leaving it for quite a while accessible
to the colored people.
In 1865 through the influence and instructions of
Rev. Wm. Troy, missionary of the North-Western
Missionary Baptist Convention, the Rose Hill church
was represented in said convention in session at St.
Louis, Mo., by Bros. R. Pollard and D. Holley. When
these delegates returned to Mississippi, the conven¬
tion commissioned and sent with them the Rev. Dr.
J. F. Boulden to Natchez, Miss., whose business it
was to work among his people and denomination on
both sides of the river as far as possible. Dr. Boul¬
den took charge of the congregation at Natchez which
again worshipped in the Wall Street church then de¬
serted by the white Baptists during the war. Dr.
Boulden labored in this field till 1867, when he was
called by the M. U. Baptist church, Columbus, Miss.
When he left, the congregation again fell to the pas¬
toral charge of Bro. Pollard, who was now quite a
preacher. After Dr. Boulden left Natchez the white
Baptists, having returned from the war, again took
possession of the Wall Street church and forced Rev.
Pollard and a congregation of four or five hundred to
seek shelter again in the Rose Hill church. Finding
this house now too small to accommodate them they
decided to divide the congregation; whereupon a part
remained at the Rose Hill church with Rev. Pollard
as their pastor while the other part was organized
into a church by a Northern preacher by the name of
Tross(?) and worshipped in an abandoned school
house once used by northern teachers. That part of
tfre comgregation under the pastoral charge of Rev.