46. From Patras to Kalamata by Sea.
Greek Steamers (pp. xviii d-g) ply thrice weekly. The Panhellenios
Co., starting on Mon. at 2 p.m. and touching at Katakolo, performs the
voyage in 20 hrs. The steamers of MacDowall & Barbour (starting on
Sat. at midnight), Gtoudes (Sat. morning), and the Hermoupolis Co. (Mon.
afternoon; in the reverse direction) perform the voyage in 173-2 days (in¬
cluding stoppages), touching at (Mesolongion, Kyllene), Zakynthos, Katdkolo,
Kyparissia, Hagia Kyriake, Marathos, Pylos (Methone, Kordne), and Nisi.
Patras, see p. 283. Some of the steamers steer N.W. across the
Gulf of Patras to (2 hrs.) Mesolongion (p. 219), while others head
due E. at once towards Cape Kaldgria, the classic Araxos, the low
hill of which, called Mavravouna (p. 287), is divided by a broad
plain from the mountain-system of the Peloponnesus. The Cyclo¬
pean walls of the ruined castle on the top were called Larisa or
simply Teichos ('the wall') in antiquity. In front lies Kephallenia
(p. 268) and in the distance to the right Ithaka (p. 274). — We coast
the flat shore of Elis (pp. 288, 289).
In 5'/2 hrs. after leaving Patras we touch at the little harbour
of Kyllene (p. 288), and in 2^4 hrs. more we reach the island of
Zante or Zdkynthos, see p. 279.
The steamer again approaches the Peloponnesian coast and in
3 hrs. reaches Katdkolo, the seaport of Pyrgos (see p. 289).
We next steer to the S.E. across the Gulf of Kyparissia (comp.
pp. 401-403). The district which we see to the left is the ancient
Triphylia; the distant mountain is Lykaeon (p. 390), the spurs of
which descend almost to the sea. Farther to the S., close to the sea,
are the Koutra Hills. — In 4 hrs. after leaving Katakolo we reach
the harbour of Kyparissia (p. 404). The town lies about a mile
inland and is picturesquely situated beneath a mediaeval fortress.
Behind rises Psychrd, the N. extremity of the ancient iEgaleon
(p. 416), a conspicuous object for a considerable distance. On the
W. we descry the Strophddes, on the largest of which is a convent.
The next stations are (1 ife hr.) Hagia Kyriake (p. 416) and (Y2 hr.)
Mdrathos (p. 416), two currant-exporting seaports. The steamer
then skirts the wooded island of Prdte (the mediaeval Prodano), on
which are a chapel and some walls alleged to be ancient, perhaps
those of the town of Prote mentioned by Strabo.
Farther on rises the steep promontory of Koryphasion or Old
Pylos (p. 415). Rounding the S. end of the rocky island oi Sphak¬
teria, the steamer enters the bay of Pylos (p. 413) and reaches the
town, li/2 hr. after leaving Marathos.
We usually leave untouched the silted-up port of Methone or
Modon (1711 inhab.; Xenodochion; local steamers, see p. 413),
which occupies the site of the ancient Methdne or Mothone. The
Venetians established themselves at Modon in 1206; and in the
15th cent, defended the town, along with Korone, against the Turks,
for forty years after the latter had made themselves masters of the
Peloponnesus. We next pass the uninhabited QZnussae Islands, now