404 Route 45. KYPARISSIA.
Branch Railway from Kalonero (see p.403; 3'/2 M. in i/4 hr.,
fares 85, 70, 45 1.) to the Skala (see below), 1 M. from the town
Kyparissia. — Inns. In the town, Xenodochion or Poneeopoulos,
bed l'/a dr., clean; meals at the Estiatoeion of Tsavaeas. — At the Skala
(see below), Xenodochion Moki'Heos, clean, restaurant opposite. — Diligence
to Pylos, see p. 413.
Kyparissia, a town with 6530 inhab.,' the seat of a bishop and
the capital of the nomos of Tryphilia, rises in successive terraces
on the face of Mt. Psychrd, as the northernmost height of the ^Egaleon
range is usually named. The picturesque ruined castle, on a steep
cliff above the. town, offered a vigorous resistance to the Frankish
conquerors in 1205 ; it was afterwards in the possession of Geoffroy
de Villehardouin (p. 283). By a curious transference of the name
of the central district of the Peloponnesus, due to the migrations of
the troublous middle ages, the town was known as Arkadid down to
its destruction by Ibrahim Pasha in 1825. It has resumed its an¬
cient name since its restoration.
Almost in the middle of the town, near the supposed site of the
temple of Athena Kyparissia, is the church of the Hagia Trias; nearer
the castle is the so-called Metropolis. The ruins of the Castle in-
rlude whole courses of ancient stones, but no longer in the ancient
position. It commands a splendid view of the town and of the
coast from Philiatra (p. 416) to the mouth of the Neda (p. 396);
to the W. is the sea, with the Strophades (p. 405), Zante, and
Kephallenia; to the S.E. is Mt. Psychrd, the highest peak of which
(3755 ft.) is crowned by a chapel (Hagia Paraskeve).
The district between the town and the sea (1 M. distant) is called
Phoros. At Kalamid, a place here, ife M. from the town, is a ruined
chapel of St. George, near which large blocks of poros stone, bases
and drums of Ionic columns, fragments of an architrave, and a few
fragments of marble sculptures have been found. This is perhaps
the site of the temple of Apollo.
The Skala of Kyparissia is protected by a projecting breakwater.
Here are the railway-station (see above), a post-office, a steamboat-
office, and the inn mentioned above. Near the 'Magazia' rises
the spring of Krydnera; farther to the S.W., in the direction of the
primitive lighthouse, is the spring of Hagia Lougoudis, the water
of which is caught in a basin made of ancient masonry. This has
been supposed to be the Dionysios spring of the ancients, which
gushed forth at a stroke of the thyrsos of Dionysos. From the 8/21st
to the 16/29th September a fair (djj.7ioptx.7] Tiavrifjpit;) is annually
held here, much frequented by the inhabitants of the district.
From Kyparissia to the S. to Philiatra and Pylos, see pp. 416, 415; to
the N.E. to Siderokastro and Pavlilza-Phigalia, see p. 401.