SK1LL0US. 45. Route. 401
gradually through cultivated fields to the (^fe hr.) prosperous village
of Zachdro (1180 inhab.; p. 403) and the ancient Pylian Plain
(p. 403). We follow the coast-road, skirting the W. side of the
Lake of Kaiapha, to the Baths of Kaidpha, see p. 402.
From Zacharo (see above) another route, leading through the currant-
fields on the E. bank of Lake Kaiapha and then following a fairly good
bridle-path, brings us direct in about 2 hrs. to Samikon, which "it reaches
at the highest point of the E. wall. A steep spur in the neighbourhood
commands a good survey of the ruins and an admirable view of the sur¬
From Phigalia to Kyparissia, 6lfe hrs. The route descends
to the S.E. to the bed of the Neda, crosses the stream, and ascends
steeply between Hagios Elias (3610 ft.) and the mountains of Kara
Moustapha. Beyond the saddle it turns to the S.W., passes near
the Albanian village of Soulima (on the left), and descends on the
left bank of a tributary brook of the Neda. Turning then to the left,
it reaches (3 hrs. from Phigalia) the large village of Siderdkastro,
where there is a ruined mediaeval castle. We then descend the
undulating declivities of the Koutra or Koutraes Hills to the valley
of the Kyparissia Stream, which we cross near the railway-station
of Siderokastro (p. 403; about iy2 hr. from the village). To the
left diverges the route to Messene (p. 403). Crossing several water¬
courses and skirting the slopes of Mt. Psychrd (p. 416) we finally
reach (1 hr.) Kyparissia (p. 404).
45. From Pyrgos (Olympia) to Kyparissia and
Railway fkom Pyrgos to Kyparissia, 39 M. in 21/2 hrs. (fares 8 dr. 10,
6 dr. 70, 4 dr. 5 1.1; to Samikon, 151/2 M. (3 dr. 20, 2 dr. 70, 1 dr. 60 1.);
to Zevgalatid (p. 384) direct, 53 M. in 3i/2 hrs. (11 dr., 9 dr. 10, 5 dr. 501.).
Kyparissia is reached by a branch-line diverging at Kalonero.
Pyrgos, see p. 289. The railway coincides with the line to Olym¬
pia (p. 289) as far as (4V2 M.) Alpheios; it then crosses the river
Alpheios (Rouphia, p. 387) just before reaching (&/2 M.) Volantza,
makes a wide curve towards the W., and finally follows the coast-
road. — 8 M. Agoulenitza. This large village (2580 inhab.) lies
among fields of currants and corn on a projecting height, which was
probably the site of Thryon or Thryoessa, afterwards called Epitalion.
— We then skirt the E. bank of the marshy Lake of Agoulenitza,
which is well stocked with fish. 11M. Anemochori. — 1572 M. Sami¬
kon, see p. 402.
Feom Olympia (p. 289) to Samikon via Skillous, 33/4 hrs.' ride. We
cross the Alpheios (Rouphia) by the ferry mentioned at p. 392, and at
(lhr.)the little Rioer of Krestena, the ancient Selinous, reach the carriage-
road from Agoulenitza (see above). Krestena lies 1 M. to the E. The
ruins to the S. of the road are usually regarded as those of Skillous,
though some authorities locate this little town at the village of Mazi,
3'/» M. to the E. of Krestena. Skillous was destroyed by the Eleans in
their early contests with the Pisatse (p. 290). About the year B.C. 394
Baedeker's Gxaaafe_^Ui4ifc <2fi