384 Route 40. DIAVOLITZI.
binding courses. ■— About 8 sladia from Andania was a cypress-grove called
'Karnasion', in which famous mysteries of Demeter and Kora were
celebrated. A long inscription referring to this fact was found near the
village of Hagii Konstaniinoi.
Beyond a tunnel we reach (45 M.) Parapoungi.
47 M. Diavolitzi (fair accommodation at the Xenodochion of
Papamichailopoulos, at the railway station, better at the house of
Georgios Spyropoulos) is a village with 665 inhabitants.
From Diavolitzi to Phigalia, ca. 63/< hrs.' ride, or via the temple
of Bassa? to Andritssena ca. 9 hrs. The plain contracts on the N.W. to
a narrow valley, above the E. verge of which we ride, passing the hamlet
of Bogazi, then ascend steeply to the lofty saddle between the Tetrasi
Group (p. 398) and the Hagios Elias (p. 373; to the W.). Fine retrospect
of the Konto Vounia (p. 412) and Ithome (p. 409). Beyond the saddle we
pass to the left of the mountain-village of Sirji and traverse fine oak-
woods. In front, of us is the ravine of the Neda, to which we descend
by a steep and difficult track. We cross the deep river, flowing between
plane-trees and oleanders, and re-ascend straight on to the hamlet of Dragdi
(p. 394; 574 hrs. from Diavolitza). Hence one bridle-path ascends steeply to
(l'/4 hr.) the temple of Bassae (p. 393), while another, to the left, follows
the route, described at p. 395, to Pdvlilza, which lies among the ruins of
Phigalia (ca. IV2 hr.; p. 395).
48^2 M. Kourtaga, not to be confounded with the other station
of the same name (p. 383).
50y2 M. Zevgalatio is the junction for the line to Kyparissia
and Pyrgos (p. 403).
53 M. Meligald (Xenodochion ton Xenon, bed 2 dr., with
restaurant) is a thriving village with 1261 inhab., the houses of
which lie in a circle round a hill crowned with a chapel of Hagios
Bridle-path from Meligala to Messene, see p. 412.
5il/2 M. Skala is situated on the N. verge of the 'lower' Messe¬
nian plain, which in antiquity bore the name of Makaria, or 'the
happy land'. To the left lies the marshy lake formed by the springs
of Hagios Floros, whence a copious stream issues to join the Pa-
misos (p. 406).
58'/2 M. Tsepheremini, a large village with 1100 inhab., is the
best starting-point for tbe excursion to Messene (p. 407).
To the left, beyond (60 M.) Bdsta, appear the snowy summits
of Taygetos. — 63L/2 M. Asldnaga. We cross two canals that drain
another marshy lake into the Pamisos. — 66y2 M. Thouria.
67V2 M. Asprdchoma, whence a branch diverges for Nisi (p. 412).
The name of the neighbouring village of Kaldmi (to the N.) recalls
that of a town (Kalamae) of the Perirekoi. — To the right we see
another marsh and then the Messenian Gulf. The railway crosses the
Nedon (p. 375) near its mouth and reaches —
72 M. Kalamata (p. 406).