to Tripolis. TRIPOLIS. 3.3. Route. 349
43 M. Tripolis. — Inns (comp. p. xii; an exact bargain should be
made). Xenodochion ton Xenon, bed 3 dr., well spoken of; Xen. Anglia,
to the E. of the main Platia, bed 2V-2 dr., with restaurant on the other side
of the Plati'a; Xen. Syntagma, bed 2'/z dr., Xen. Evrope, these two to the
W. of the Platfa, without restaurants. — Railway Buffet, very fair. Restaurant
Syntagma. Good non-resinous wine at all the inns. Several Cafis in the
Platia. — Money Changer, Thalassinos.
Tripolis (2175 ft.), formerly called Tripolilza, as the (Slavonic)
diminutive form has it, the solitary town in Arcadia, is one of the
most important places in the Peloponnesus. It is the seat of an
archbishop and contains a gymnasium and a seminary for priests;
the population is 10,500. The name commemorates the fact that
the town is built on the territories of three ancient cities, Mantinea,
Pallantion, and Tegea. Tripolis has existed only in modern times,
having been founded about the beginning of the Turkish dominion
in Greece, during which it was the residence of the pashas of the
Morea. The foundations of their palace (konak) are still to be seen.
The capture of Tripolis by Kolokotronis on October 5, 1821, though
stained by the massacre of the entire Turkish population, was of
the utmost importance to the Greek cause. From June 1825 to 1828
it was again held by the Turks, who totally destroyed it in revenge.
The town is now very prosperous and is expanding on all sides. The
principal routes from various parts of the plain, which meet here,
debouch in the centre of the town in the large and shady square
(itXaTeia), where a handsome church was erected in 1879. The
narrow lanes round the square are occupied by the bazaar and are
thronged with busy traffic. The Gymnasium contains a small col¬
lection of antiquities, chiefly objects found in the excavations of the
French School (p. 15) at Mantinea (p. 351). A royal palace was
begun on the road to Mantinea, to the N. of the town, but has been
It is hoped that by once more bringing the numerous Katavothrae in
the E. Arcadian plain (pp. 348, 352, 363) into operation the plain will be
drained and the hygienic conditions of the district improved.
Continuation of the railway to Megalopolis and Kalamata, see
34. From Tripolis to Kalavryta.
This route requires 4 days. First Day. From Tripolis via Mantinea
to Levidi, 4>/V5 hrs., exclusive of halts. — Second Dat. Via Orchomenos
toPheneos, 7»/4 hrs. — Third Dat. To Solos, 5 hrs.; walk to the point of
view opposite the falls of the Styx, 2 hrs.; if practicable, first part of the
ascent of Chelmos. — Fourth Dat. To Kalavryta 5-6 hrs., or, including the
ascent of Chelmos, about 10 hrs.
Tripolis, see above. — The broad road, to the N., brings us in
about 1 hr. to the ridge of hills running from W. to E. which for¬
merly divided the territories of Tegea (p. 362) and Mantinea. Not
far off are the humble village of Bedeni and a ruined Chapel of
St. Nicholas. After continued rain the water from the higher-lying