348 Route 33. ACHLADOKAMPOS. From Argos
has considerably expanded in the course of centuries. A part of the
village, called the Skala, with the largest mill, lies on the sea
shore. In antiquity a sacred grove of plane-trees existed here, within
which sacred mysteries in honour of Demeter and Dionysos were
celebrated. — The defile at Myli was defended in 1825 by Deme¬
trios Ypsilantis (p. 344) against Ibrahim Pasha.
Beyond Myli the railway strikes inland, traverses the W. part of
the plain of Kiveri (p. 359), and ascends to the depression between
the Ktenid and Zavitza Mts. (p. 359). The Gulf of Nauplia soon
disappears from view. •— 16 M. Andritza. Among the mountains
to the S. the peaks of the Malevo group (p. 361) are conspicuous. The
line then ascends in wide curves to a spacious green upland valley,
with a view (to the left) of the viaduct mentioned below.
20 M. Achladokampos (1020 ft.). The village of that name
(1500 inhab.) lies on the mountain-slope to the right of the road,
in the midst of thick groves of olive, nut, and pear-trees. To the
right, on the foremost hill, below a chapel of Hag. Nikolaos, is the
site of the Argive border town of Hysiae, destroyed by the Spartans
in B.C. 417. The ruins are scanty; only a portion of the wall,
130 ft. long and 6-10 ft. high, has been preserved.
The railway winds round the entire valley. In an angle to the
right we notice a steep conical hill bearing the ruined mediaeval
castle of Palaeo-Mouchli. Farther on we cross a usually waterless
river-bed by means of a viaduct 230 ft. in height, whence (and also
farther on) we enjoy a retrospect of Achladokampos. The entire
range of mountains was called Parthenion by the ancients; its
modern name is Ro'ino. According to the ancient legend the infant
Telephos (p. 363) was exposed here and was suckled by a hind, and
Pan is said to have appeared here to Phidippides or Philippides, the
Athenian courier, on his way to Sparta, and to have assured him that
he would assist the Athenians at Marathon (comp. p. 41). Both of
these events were commemorated by sanctuaries.
The railway skirts the S. side of the Hag. Elias (3995 ft.), af¬
fording another momentary glimpse of the Palamidi (p. 338), and
then leads between rocks to (29 M.) Masklena. The village lies
partly in the valley below, to the left. The railway reaches its
highest point and on the descent pleasant upland plains asrain alter¬
nate with rugged mountain districts. Just beyond a tunnel we Teach
(34 M.) Versova (1730 inhab.), a considerable village at the foot
of the Parthenion, where the streamlet of Saranta Pdtamos (comp.
p. 362), descending from Hagiorgitika, disappears in three kata-
vothrae. ■— Taygetos (p. 373) by-and-by appears in the distance to
the left. Passing Hagiorgitika (on the right) we next stop at (38 M.)
Stend, at the entrance of a defile beyond which the extensive E.
Arcadian plain, covered with cornfields and vineyards, opens out.
The chief place here is Tripolis. — From Steno by Achouria to Piali
(Tegea) 1 hr., by Hag. Sostis ca. l'/2 hr.; comp. p. 362.