THE HEREON. 32. Route. 345
of the Aspis, where it is connected with the Larisa by the saddle of
Divada (the ancient Deiras), a Mycenaean necropolis has been dis¬
covered, also a terrace with a stone altar, and, ten steps higher,
another larger terrace. The remains of a temple, of a smaller cir¬
cular edifice, and of a rectangular building on the larger terrace
probably belong to the shrine of Apollo Deiradiotes, which was
adjoined by the precinct of Athena Oxyderkes.
From Nauplia to Mycen.e via the Hereon, 4 hrs. (carr.,
p. 337). The route passes near Tiryns (p. 339), then diverges to the
right from the high-road and proceeds via ■Kbttr.sJto(l1/2hr.)the large
village oiBervaka. About 74M. on this side ofBervaka, to the left of
the road, lies a Panagia Chapel, with numerous ancient inscriptions
and sculptures built into its walls (among others a 'Funeral Banquet'
high up, near one of the corners), and some fragments of pottery.
There are also other chapels and mediaeval ruins in the neighbour¬
hood, among which relics of antiquity may be discovered.
Farther on we see the Cyclopean walls of the elevated fortress of
Midea, about 8/4 hr. to the E. Midea is said to have been founded by
Perseus, who was succeeded by Elektryon, the father of Alkmene,
the favourite of Zeus and mother of Hercules. The easiest ascent (on
foot) begins at the windmills of Poulakida, near the village oi Dendra.
After passing Platanitsi and Aniphi we reach (3fe hr. from
Bervaka) the large village of Chonikd, about 3/4 M. beyond which
are several ruined chapels. At the first of these, that of Hagios
Nikdlaos, a field-path diverges to the right, leading in 1fi hr. to a
low spur of Mt. Euboea on which is situated the Heraeon, a sup¬
porting-wall of which is visible from the village.
The Herseon was the national sanctuary of Argolis, corres¬
ponding to the temples of the Acropolis at Athens. The site, which
is called by the inhabitants simply Palaedkastro, is enclosed on
the N.W. and S.E. by two brooks, incorrectly identified with the
ancient Eleutherios and Asterion. The buildings occupied three
terraces; their foundations were exhumed in 1892-95 by the Ameri¬
can School (p. 14).+ On the highest terrace, supported by the
conspicuous Cyclopean wall mentioned above, stood the Ancient
Temple (PI. I), of which nothing now remains but a fragment of the
stylobate, with the marks left by three columns.
This was the place, according to the legend, where the leaders of
the expedition against Troy swore allegiance to Agamemnon, and where
Kleobis and Biton laid themselves down to an eternal sleep after having
taken the places of the tardy horses in the chariot of their mother, a
priestess of Hera, and themselves drawn her from Argos to the temple.
On the central terrace, immediately below the Cyclopean wall,
are the remains of two very ancient Colonnades (PI. II, III), opening
to the S., and, in the middle, the foundations of the outer colon-
t Charles Waldstein, The Argive Heraum, 2 vols. (Boston, 1902, 1905).