344 Route 32.
two corridors; and in the middle is a flight of steps leading from
the top to the bottom. It is estimated to have contained room for
20,000 spectators. On December 12th, 1821, the national assembly
of Greeks summoned by Demetrios Ypsilantis met here, but it was
afterwards transferred to Epidauros. — A little to the S. of the
theatre, but quite apart from it, are twenty steps or rows of seats,
also hewn out of the rock. — To the N. of the theatre and farther
along the brow of the hill, beyond a spot where the rock has been
smoothed, extends a retaining wall, about 100 ft. long, partly con¬
sisting of polygonal blocks. From the middle of it a staircase as¬
cends to a Terrace, and at the N.E. corner is an almost obliterated
relief, with an inscription of three lines. The chamber on the
terrace above, constructed on and in the rock, contains a niche
with the mouth of a narrow rock-channel, and was probably the
well-house of an ancient sanctuary.
If the traveller have sufficient time he should not omit the as¬
cent of the Acropolis of *La,risa (there and back life hr.). The Toad
at first ascends on the S.E. side of the hill below the conspicuous
white Panagia Convent, and finally reaches the top by a steep in¬
cline on the S. side. The mediaeval citadel on the summit (950 ft.;
3/4 hr.) has been the successive hold of Byzantines, Franks, Vene¬
tians, and Turks; and behind its ramparts in 1822 Demetrios
Ypsilantis gallantly defended himself against the Turkish troops
of Dramalis. The works consist of an outer and an inner enceinte,
resting almost exactly on the ancient foundations. A portion of
a fine polygonal wall, about 60 paces long, is still preserved on
the E. and N. sides of the inner enceinte. The ancient reservoirs,
which are still extant, were used in the middle ages ; the oldest
lies within the inner wall. The apex of the hill commands a
line view over the Argolic plain, bounded on the E. by the height
of Arachnaeon (p. 325) and on the W. by the Artemision (p. 332).
The spur projecting from the latter towards the Larisa, from which,
however, it is separated by a deep depression, is calledLykone. To
the N. rises the tabular Mt.Phouka(p. 314). To the S.E. lie Nau¬
plia, with the Palamidi, and the bay of Argolis. — On the summit
of the Lykone are a few scanty remains of a temple of Artemis Orthia,
once adorned with statues by Polykleitos.
To the N. of Argos rises the round-topped Hill of Hagios Elias
(about 250 ft.), the ancient name of which seems to have been
Aspis, from its resemblance to the convex surface of an oval shield.
Here was situated another, and probably the earlier, acropolis for
the town. Its walls, dating from the 7th cent., join those of thetown.
Recent excavations (still going on) have brought to light the remains
of another Cyclopean, pre-Mycenaean fortress-wall; on the E. side
of the enclosed space on the summit, the foundation-walls of a very
ancient 'Megaron'; and on a lower terrace on the S.W. side, the
foundations of other pre-Mycenaean buildings. On the S.W. slope