334 Route 31. MYCEN.E. From Corinth
quite erroneous; in myth, poetry, and art the tomb of the former is
always represented as a simple tumulus with a stele (comp. p. 336).
The route from Charvati (ife hr.) skirts a ruinous Turkish aque¬
duct, affording a view to the E. of the ravine of Gouvia, where the
Cyclopean ruins of a bridge indicate the end of the festal Toad
from the Heraeon. Farther on we see to the left below us the Kdto-
Pigadi, a much frequented fountain with remains of ancient masonry.
Beyond the Chapel of Hagios Georgios the Toad crosses the sharp
ridge of rock mentioned on p. 333 and pas-es a little below the front
of the so-called *Treasury of Atreus or Tomb of Agamemnon, the
most striking of these underground buildings. Although known from
very ancient times this has only recently been completely exhumed
by the Greek Archfeological Society (p. 14). The entrance or 'dro-
mos' (now closed by a grated door) is a cutting in the earth, 20 ft.
wide and 115 ft. long, the sides of which are supported by walls
of breccia. The door leading to the interior, llifeil. high, 8 ft.
wide at the top, and ISA, ft. at the base, is surmounted by a lintel
formed of two blocks of stone, of which the inner one is nearly 30 ft.
long, over 16 ft. broad, and over 3 ft. thick (with a weight estimated
at 113 tons). The opening or niche in the wall above, made to
reduce the weight resting on the lintel, was once concealed by an
ornamented reddish slab, of which fragments have been found. The
bases on the right and left supported ornamented cylindrical columns
of dark-green marble (now in the British Museum). The interior
is an elegant and artistically constructed apartment in the shape
of a beehive, about 50 ft. high and with a floor-diameter of about
the same. In contrast to the usual method of building a dome, ac¬
cording to which the stones are wedge-shaped and the joints run
in the direction of the centre of the building, the side walls of
this edifice are formed of 33 horizontal circular courses, gradually
becoming narrower as they ascend. From the 3rd course upwards we
observe holes bored in the stones in regular order. In some of these
bronze nails have been found, which were used to fasten metal
ro?ettes. A doorway about 10 ft. high, similar to the other, leads
from the large chamber into the tomb proper, a dark square chamber,
which was originally lined with slabs of alabaster.
About V3 M. farther on, at the point where the carriage-road
bends to the right, opposite the W. side of the citadel, lies another
beehive sepulchre, known as the Treasury of Klytaemnestra, partially
excavated by Mrs. Schliemann in 1876 and completely exhumed
by the Archaeological Society in 1891-92. Its doorway (dromos) and
whole arrangement resemble those of the Treasury of Atreus, but
it is in much worse repair and the upper part has fallen in. Beneath
the dromos passes a channel to drain the tomb; and in front of the
entrance to the interior are two pilasters. — The other five beehive
tombs, the positions of which are indicated on the Plan, are in a still
more dilapidated condition and of much more primitive construction.