31. From Corinth to Argos and Nauplia by Railway.
40 M. Railwa? in ca. 3 brs. (fares 8 dr. 20, 6 dr. 50 1.; return-ticket,
valid for two days, 14 dr. 80,11 dr. 701.; return-ticket from Athens to Nau¬
plia, valid for four days, 29 dr. 80, 22 dr. 501.). Through-train from Athens
to Argos twice daily. Passengers from Athens usually change carriages
at Corinth.— Best views to the left.
Corinth, see p. 315. — Directly on emerging from the town our
line diverges from the line to Patras (R. 27) and beyond the
barracks (on the left) turns to the S. towards the long chain of the
Oneia Mts. (1910 ft.). Near the foot of these mountains, to the
left, lies (3'/2M.) Hexamilia, where some tombs with fresco-paint¬
ings have been discovered, near the shapeless ruins of a brick build¬
ing of the Roman period. — To the right appears the steep E. slope
of Aero-Corinth (life hr. from Hexamilia), surmounted by its Vene¬
tian battlements, and then the pointed summits of Penteskouphia
(p. 320) and the rocky peaks of the rugged Paloukorachi. Farther
on, to the left, are chains of green hills, among which lies the
village of (life M.) Athikia (not visible from the railway), known as
the place where the so-called Tenean Apollo was found (p. lxxix).
In the distance, to the left, is'the Arachnaeon (p. 326). Shortly
before reaching Chiliomodi we see to the left a large farm ('me-
tochi'), which belongs to the convent of Phaneromene, hidden in a
gorge to the W.
12'/2 M. Chiliomodi. The line now traverses the domain of the
ancient Tenea, which lay Vfe M. to the S., on the flat-topped hill
above the twin-villages of Kleniaes (a corruption of Kleonae), and
formerly belonged to Corinth. — We then enter the domain of
Corinth's small rival, Kleonae, the chief place in which is now
(17 M.) Hagios Vasilios (rfmts.). The ancient town of Kleonze
was situated on a gentle hill, which is visible to the N.W., rising
from the plain, to the right of a small grove of trees; but only a
few fragments of the old wall, which was about 6 ft. in thickness
and defended by towers, now remain. The ruins which crown the
mountain-spur rising abruptly above the village of Hagios Vasilios
are those of a mediaeval castle.
The range is continued towards the W., under the name of the
Treton Mts., and is skirted by the railway, which gradually ascends,
reaching its highest point at (20 M.) Nemea (rfmts.).
The ancient temple precinct of Nemea lies about 3 M. from the rail¬
way-station, where carriages for Hagios Georgios (p. 332; 2-3 dr.)
or horses are sometimes to be "found. The route crosses the hill
to the N.W. and then descends into the little valley of Nemea
(1195 ft.), which produces an excellent wine. A few minutes
before we quit the slope we notice, to the right of the path, a well
surrounded by silver poplars, which perhaps may be the ancient