288 Route 25. GA.^TOUHI.
derived from a former Turkish proprietor. — During the journey
we have a view to the left of tbe Movri Mts. (ca. 2625 ft.) behind
which are the Santameri Mts. (333.) ft.; p. 287) , the Skollion of
the ancients. This is an outlier of the Arcadian group called Olonos
(7300 ft.; p. 286), the ancient Erymanthos, which rises farther to
the E. Along the shore to the right extends a broad and sandy
strip, dotted with firs, and interrupted only by a low promontory
near Kounoupeli. On this spot fragments of Cyclopean walls recall
the ancient Hyrmine or Hormina; Kyllene, which also stood here,
seems to have disappeared.
27'/2 M. Manolada. an estate belonging to the crown-prince of
Greece, lies amid oak-forests between the marshy lakes of Ali-
Jelebi and of Kotfki, both well-stocked with fish and connected
with the sea by canals. — 31!/2 M. Kourtezi. — 36 M. Lechaeni, with
2870 inhab. and a busy bazaar. — 38 M. Andravida (2080 inhab.),
where Guillaume de Champlitte, the new Prince of Morea, estab¬
lished his magnificent seat about 1205 in the open country. The
rained church of St. Sophia dates from the same period. The
Teutonic Order and the Knights Templar also had churches here.
At (40'/2 M.) Eavassila the line crosses the Peneios (p. 287),
also called River of Gastouni, in summer hardly 2 ft. deep, but in
winter often in high flood.
From Kavassila to Kyllene, 10 M., branch-railway in 3/4 hr. (fares
2 dr. 20, 1 dr. 70 1.). The line runs via (33/i 31.) Varlholomio. where an¬
other branch diverges (trains in summer only) for (7 M.) Loutra Kyllenes
(Mea Xenodochion, pens. 15 dr., clean), with thermal sulphur-springs
(70-77° Fahr.). — The little seaport of Kyllene (Xenodochion, fair; 550 inhab.),
formerly called Glarentza, lies at the N. foot of a bluff promontory, known
to the ancients as < heionatus, which is surmounted by the ruined castle
of Chlemoulzi or Tornese. The castle, with its lofty hattlemented walls
and strong bastions, was built by Geoffrey II. de Villehardouin, and
during the period of the Frankish dominion it was the most magnificent
baronial seat in the Morea. It was destroyed in 1825 by Ibrahim Pasha.
illfe M. Gastouni, a little town, also of Frankish origin ('Gas-
toigne'), has 2330 inhab. and is the chief cattle-maTket in the Pelo¬
ponnesus. To the right appears the ruin of Chlemoulzi (see above).
Palaeopolis (21/2 hrs. from Amalias, see below) lies on the left hank of
the Peneios. 2 hrs. to the N.E of Gastouni, and is reached by a road lead¬
ing past Kalyvia, V2 31. beyond which are brick walls, in some places 16 ft.
high, and other remains of the Roman period. PalEeopolis marks the site
of the city of Elis, which lay at the foot of a steep hill, 500 ft. high,
surmounted by a citadel and a temple of Athena. Elis resembled Sparta
in being without walls. The first city of importance here was erected
in B.C. 471, by the union of numerous communities; but the site had
previously been occupied by a town that had fallen into decay. Protected
by a standing league with Sparta, the inhabitants devoted then-selves
chiefly to agriculture. Whatever may be covered by the earth, there are
no longer any visible traces of the temples, colonnades, gymnasia, or
theatre. The Acropolis, which commands a fine panorama, was again
fortified in the middle ajes, when it bore the name of Beloedere. The
modern name is Kalaskopi.
441/2 M. Karakouzi. — 48 M. Amalias, a little town (6200 in¬
hab.) formed in 1885 by the union of the villages of Kalitza and