Islands. ZANTE. 23. Route. 279
and scarcely repays the trouble, as the view is similar to that from
the convent, though a little freer towards the N. From the convent
a rough bridle-path descends to the W. to (3/4 hr.) the road from
Vathy to Stavros, which it reaches at the head of the pass mentioned
at p. 275. — It is perhaps still more enjoyable to make this ex¬
cursion in the reverse direction, proceeding at once from the top of
the pass to the convent, Anoi, and Stavros. The view of the open
landscape as we emerge from the pass is especially beautiful. We
return by carriage, which should be ordered to meet us at Stavr6s.
f. Zante (Zakynthos).
The island of Zante or Zdkynthos (152 sq. M.; pop. 45,000) is
divided into a larger W. portion, occupied by barren mountains, and
a smaller and luxuriantly fertile E. part, consisting of an alluvial
plain, bounded on the E. by a low range of olive-clad coast-hills.
Zdkynthos was colonized at an early period from Achaea and Arcadia.
In 455 the Athenian admiral Tolmides compelled the hitherto independent
isl nd to accept the supremacy of Athens. After the Peloponnesian War
Zakynthos became subject to Sparta, but it subsequently j< ined the later
Attic naval 1 ague. About 217 it was conquered by the Macedonians and
in 191 it passed under Roman sway. Ravaged by the Vandals, it afterwards
was ruled by Norman (12th cent.) and Frankish dynast;es; in 1479 it was
captured by the Turks and in 1481 by the Venetians, who ret ined it until
1797. — Zan'e was the birthplace of the Italian poet Ugo Foscolo (1.78-1827)
and of Dionysios Solomos (1798-1857), the Greek bard of liberty.
Zante. — Hotels (bargain beforehand). Albergo Nazionale, in the
Platfa, bed 3, pens. 10 dr.; Xenodochion Eveope. bed 2, B. 3/t, dej. 2, D.
2'/2 fr. (not dr.): Xen. Anglia, opposite the Lnding-place.
British Vice-Consul, A. L. Crowe.
Steamer from Patras, see pp. 255, 256; from Katakolo (p. 283) in ca.
3 hrs., see p. 405. Sailing Boat to Katakolo, with a good wind in 6-7 hrs.
Zante, or Zdkynthos, the capital of the island, with 14,660 inhab.
and numerous handsome, Italian-looking buildings, is the seat of
a Greek archbishop. It occupies the gentle slopes rising from a semi¬
circular bay on the E. coast and is commanded by an old Venetian
Castello (360 ft.) now falling into ruins. Its chief exports are cur¬
rants, olive-oil and soap, oranges, lemons, and flowers. In the Platia
stands the Roman Catholic Metropolitan church of San Marco (pop¬
ularly known as the It<xXixtj i-xxXijOta), which contains several large
late-Venetian pictures and two bronze candelabra of the Venetian
Renaissance, marred by a coating of paint. The Greek church of the
Panagia Phaneromene is considered the finest in the Ionian Islands.
— The ancient city of Zakynthos occupied the long ridge, sloping
towards the N., on which the castle now stands; no trace of it remains.
The ascent of the Skop6s (2ife hrs.), to the S. of the town, is
recommended. We quit the coast-road at (3/4 hr.) the church of
Hagios Evstathios, and ascend the path (scarcely to be mistaken),
past a ruined church and the (1, hr.) hermitage of Hag. Nikolaos, to