Museum. DELPHT. 5. Route. 151
stone, was erected in the 4th cent, and dedicated to Athena Pro-
naia; that to the E. (49 by '.'0 ft.), of poros stone, belongs to the
5th cent, and was dedicated to Athena Ergane. A fall of rock in
the spring of 1905 utterly destroyed what was left of the columns of
the latter. Between them stood a small temple (not altar) close to
the Temple of Athena Ergane, another small temple in the Ionic
style (6th cent.; 21 by 28 ft.), with a sculptured frieze, resembling
the Treasury of Knidos, and a Tholos, or circular edifice, of marble.
The last, Doric on the exterior but with Corinthian columns
within, has 38 metopes (comp. p. 152) and is one of the finest
buildings of the beginning of the 4th century. The higher terrace
with its two small temples sopported the Heroon of Phylakos. These
buildings were described by Pausanias, and their discovery enables
us to determine the site of the town-boundary. In fact a little
farther on we find the beginning of the Necropolis, identified more
particularly by the so-called Logari, which is a representation of the
door of a tomb carved in the rock. It may be found below the
supporting-wall of the carriage-road, a little farther down.
The spring of Zaleska, the ancient Sybaris, flows through a wide open¬
ing into the lower part of the gorge of the Papadia (p. 141). In the
gorge, just opposite, is the Krypsana, or den of tbe Lamia, a monster
living upon human sacrifices and resembling the Theban Sphinx.
The Museum (curator, A. Kontoleon) is situated to the W. of the
sacred precinct and on the left side of the road, just before the latter
bends round to the E. The building consists of a central portion
and of two wings added in 1902-3 from a bequest of M. Syngros
(pp. 112, 303).
In front of the entrance stands a Marble Sarcophagus (with the
Calydonian Hunt), excavated by Kapodistrias (p. lxi). We ascend
a flight of steps and beyond a terrace, beneath which are stored the
inscriptions, enter the central room.
I. Salle de l'Aurige. In front of the entrance-wall: d. Bust of
M. Syngros, between two modern inscriptions referring to the transfer
of the excavations and the museum to the Greek government. Oppo¬
site: a. *Bronze Statue of a Charioteer, in excellent preservation,
found to the N.W. of the temple (p. 148) along with portions of
the horses and harness and a human arm on a smaller scale. They
belonged to the Votive Offering of Polyzalos, which was a thank-
offering for victory in a chariot-race and represented a quadriga.
The charioteer is clad in the usual long close-fitting robe of his class,
and from his calm, upright attitude we must assume that the team
was proceeding at a walk. The fragments of the base and the group
are placed by the Tear-wall.
The name Polyzalos, which occurs as that of the donor on the only
preserved stone of the base, at first suggests the younger brother of Gel n
and Hieron of Syracuse. But this part of the inscription was ineted as
an alteration in an earlier inscription, and recen ly the t'nal letters *ilas*
of the obliterated name have been deciphered. This ?eems to corroborate
the theory fhat the chariot in question was that dedicated by King Arke-
silas IV. of Cyrene in commemoration of his victory in a chariot-race at