Small Metropolis. ATHENS. 2. Route. 63
(to the left of the exit), Riders; to the right of the entrance : 860.
Youth with sacrificial sheep.
IX. Nike Room (a'tftoooa Nt-/T)<;). To the right the famous re¬
liefs from the Nike Balustrade (p. 42); in the middle of the front
row, *973. Nike fastening her sandal. To the left are fragments
(Nos. 1071-78) from the Frieze of the Erechtheion, including (Nos.
1073, 1076) two seated goddesses with children.
X. This room was almost empty in 1908.
c. From the Palace through the town to the Theseion. Dipylon.
Hill of the Nymphs. Pnyx. Monument of Philopappos.
The upper or E. end of the Rue d'Hermes (6oos'Ep[i.oii; PL
E-B, 5), which leads to the W. from the Place de la Constitution,
is one of the principal centres of the business life of Athens, and
contains the various antiquarian, millinery, and other shops men¬
tioned at p. 14.
On the left, Rue d'Hermes 83, is the Education Office, or Ministere
des Cwltes ('YTtoop-fetovTTjs LTaiSeta;; PI. E, 5), which contains also
the office of the general ephoros or superintendent of the antiqui¬
ties (p. 14), who issues the permessi for visiting the Acropolis by
night (comp. p. 39; entrance, with the name written over it, on the
left, at the beginning of the side-street leading to the Metropolis).
A few paces to the S. of the Rue d'Hermes rises the Metro¬
politan Church (uvirjTpoTioXi;; PI. E, 5), erected in 1840-55 with
the materials of seventy small churches and chapels. The interior
is sumptuous but destitute of taste. — To the S. lies the —
*SmalI Metropolis or Church of the Panagia Gorgdpiko (Top-
yo£TCT]y.oo;) or of Hagios Elevtherios, dating from the beginning of
the 9th century. This is the earliest extant specimen of a Byzantine
monument erected on Greek soil. Numerous antique and Byzantine
sculptures are built into the walls, which are constructed entirely
of ancient fragments. The curious flat reliefs of animals and
geometrical ornamentation are Byzantine. The following are an¬
tiques. The frieze above the principal entrance consists of an
ancient Greek calendar of festivals, with crosses added afterwards
by the Christians. At the corners are embedded Corinthian capitals.
Over the S. door is a fragment of a Doric architrave, with bulls'
heads and rosettes on the metopes, and crossed torches and vases
in front of the triglyphs. Above the apse, on each side, are ancient
reliefs with sacrificial scenes; on the apse itself is an archaic relief
immured upside down. On the N. side are a mutilated representa¬
tion of a palestres (wrestler) and a tomb-relief.
Beside the church on the right is preserved a block of grey marble
(772 ft. long, 1 ft. high, 2 ft. broad), with an inscription on one end in late
Greek characters ('This is the stone from Cana of Galilee, where Jesus
Christ our Lord turned the water into wine'). This stone, which was
discovered in the ruins of a mediaeval chapel at Elateia (p. 200), is per¬
haps the actual stone seat seen by Antoninus of Piacenza at Cana.