Museum. ATHENS. 2-. Route. 59
columns have been discovered, some of which may have belonged
to the older Parthenon, while others seem to have been rejected
as faulty during the erection of the new structure. The latter are
roughly blocked out and have projections left for convenience in
carriage; the flutes were added after the erection of the column.
Numerous shattered vases, bronzes, and marble sculptures were
also found here. — The E. annexe of the museum for students
(accessible in the morning to visitors accompanied by a custodian)
is built on ancient foundation-walls.
At the S.E. angle of the Acropolis is a considerable portion of
the massive Wall of Kimon, exposed down to its foundation in the
rock. The groups of statues erected on the Acropolis by King
Attalos I. of Pergamon, to commemorate his victory over the in¬
vading Celts in B.C. 229, stood here on some hitherto unidentified
spot above the Theatre of Dionysos, of which we hence obtain an
excellent view. — In front of the E. side of the museum-annexe
a fragment of the Pelasgian Wall is visible.
A Belvedere at the N. end of the E. wall of the Acropolis
commands the best view of the modern town and its monuments.
To the S.E. stand the columns of the Olympieion, with Mt. Hy¬
mettos in the background; a little nearer us is the Arch of Hadrian;
immediately in front is the Monument of Lysikrates, beyond which
are the Palace and the Palace Garden, and, farther off, the Lyka¬
bettos and the gable-like Pentelikon; in the town, a little to the left,
shine the dazzling marble buildings of the Academy, the University,
and the Library, with the road to Patisia passing to the N. of them;
more to the left rises the lofty Metropolitan Church, with the Small
Metropolitan Church nestling beside it; on the N. slope of the Acro¬
polis is the Tower of the Winds''; adjacent, the Bazaar and the Stoa
of Hadrian; to the W., the Theseion, backed by the olive-woods of
the Kephisos, above which rise Mt. Parnes and its S. spur JLgaleos.
In the *Acropolis Museum, which was built in 1878, are pre¬
served the sculptured remains left on the Acropolis up to that
date as well as the results of more recent excavations. Its exten¬
sive collection of valuable specimens, more especially of the earlier
art-epochs, is unique. Hours of adm., see p. 15. Curator, D.Philios.
Opposite the entrance, in a shed, are several large fragments and in¬
scriptions, including a richly-ornamented Marble Chair and a Draped Statue
of a Goddess (No. 1358), with a boy clinging to her knee (Ge Kurotrophoa ?).
Vestibule. Objects of various epochs. Straight in front: 1325.
Half of an unfinished statue of Hermes (?); beneath,( 1326. Marble
base, with a relief representing an Apobates (drcopaTTj?), or war¬
rior who fights from a chariot, rapidly dismounting and remounting
as it rolls along; 1327. Base with reliefs of Dancers. — To the
right, 1334. Lower half of a finely executed relief, perhaps oi Her¬
mes, found near the Propylaea; 1335. Architectural fragment from
the Erechtheion, of fine execution; 1336, 1337. Torsos of Athena;