56 Route 2. ATHENS. Acropolis.
nearly 2 ft. in height; the base, nearly 11 inches high, consists of
two semicircular mouldings (Tori) separated by a Trochilos (Scotia),
or hollow moulding. The shaft, which is 2!/2 ft. in diameter, has,
as is usual in the Ionic order, 24 flutes separated by narrow fillets.
The capital is of unusual richness. The neck consists of a beaded
moulding and a frieze of palmettos, above which are an egg and
tongue moulding and a plain band, supporting the echinus or cen¬
tral cushion of the capital, which is adorned with flutes and beads.
The spiral Canalis of the strongly marked volutes is double. A
narrow abacus, enriched with an egg and tongue moulding, effects
the transition to the architrave, which, as in all Ionic buildings,
consists of three members and is finished off with a Lesbian kyma¬
tion adorned with wreaths of foliage. Only a few fragments of the
frieze, which consisted of Eleusinian stone, have been found; and
scarcely a trace of the sculptures in white marble with which it was
adorned (see p. 63) has been left.
The cella consists of two chambers on different levels. The upper
(E.) chamber, entered from the E. portico, was intended to he the
special sanctuary of Athena Polias (but comp. p. 58). At a distance
of about 23 ft. from the entrance this division of the temple seems
to have been closed by a transverse wall, evident traces of which
may be seen on the N. side. Behind the transverse wall lay the
house of Erechtheus, or the Erechthei'in proper, and a narrow W.
corridor; this was the 'Prostomiaeon', the room containing the salt
spring, as well as the altars of Poseidon and Erechtheus, Hephaestos,
and the Attic hero Butes.
A broad flight of 12 steps, restored in parts, descends between
the E. portico and the wall of the Acropolis to the rocky plateau,
about 10 ft. lower, on which the N. Portico was built. This also
consisted of six Ionic columns, four on the front and one on each
side; the three on the W. side were re-erected in 1838. The columns
are somewhat larger than those of the E. front and show a still greater
abundance of ornamental carving, particularly on the bases, where
the upper torus is entirely covered with a plaited ornament. The
ceiling, which was restored in 1905, is composed of sunk panels.
The holes in the latter seem to have been made for nails fastening
bronze-gilt stars or other ornaments. The beautiful and well-
preserved doorway leading from this portico into the W. corridor has
been frequently imitated in modern buildings. The three holes in
the rock beneath the E. end of the N. corridor were shown by the
priests as the mark of Poseidon's trident, and were left uncovered
by any roof. — Towards the W. the portico projects a little beyond
the main part of the temple, and a side-door opens on the platform
in front of the W. facade. This was originally articulated by four
columns, resting upon a parapet of considerable height and con¬
nected by railings. The existing arrangement (recently restored),
of pilasters engaged in a wall with windows in the intercolumnia-