THUSIS. 94. Route. 343
16 M. Thusis, Rom. Tuseun (2448'; pop. 1126; Via Mala,
at the S. end, R., L., & A. 4l/2, B. I1/2, D. 4-5 fr. ; Kurhaus or
Post, with baths, and *Rhaetia, reasonable; Weisses Kreuz, well
spoken of; Zinsli, plain; 'Felsenkeller' on the Rosenbiihel, to the
right of the entrance to the Via Mala, fine view; one-horse carr.
to the second bridge of the Via Mala and back 6fr., fee 1 fr.), beau¬
tifully situated at the foot of the Heinzenberg, and handsomely
rebuilt since a fire in 1845, is well adapted for some stay and as
a starting-point for excursions.
Pleasant Walks through the Schlosswald to the Taubenstein and(40min.)
Schloss Tagstein (p. 342), with pleasure grounds; also from the Rosenbiihel
through the wood to the (20 min.) Crapteig, to the right of the entrance
to the Via Mala. Beautiful view from both points. To (3/i hr.) Ilohen-
Rhdlien, see p. 344. — On the Heinzenberg rises the Priizerhohe (6965'), a
fine point of view, ascended in 4!/2 hrs. by Masein, Portein, and Sarn
(Inn). — The Statzerhorn (8451'), 5-6 hrs., toilsome from this side (comp.
From Thusis to Tiefenkasten (9 M.). The "Schyn-Strasse, constructed
in 1868-69. leads on the S. side of the Albula (diligence daily in 2 hrs.,
comp. p. 353). It forms a central link in the network of roads extending
over the Grisons, and the first half of it commands a series of grand and
picturesque views. Immediately above Thusis it crosses the Nolla and the
Rhine at the foot of the Hohen-Rhsetien, passes the ruin of Ehrenfels on
the right, and beyond (3/t M.) Siis (2283'; Zum Passmal), the small chateau
of Baldenstein on the left. We next ascend to Campi (Campo Bello, ruin
of the ancestral seat of the Campell family; Ulrich Campell was a Rhsetian
reformer and historian), picturesquely situated to the left, on the ravine
of the Albula, and the farm of (2 M.) Rnnplanas. Pretty view hence of
the church of Solis. Then through the ancient forest of Versasca. By a
ravine we observe above us, to the riyht, abridge of the old Jlutten road.
and we pass the Freihof, an auberge on the left. The road is next
carried through the 'Pass-Mai', which begins here, by means of galleries
of masonry and extensive cuttings and tunnels. (l'/2 M.) Small inn. [About
l/t M. farther, by the chalets of Calabrien, a narrow road to the right ascends to
(4'/2M.) Unter-Mutten (4833'; *Inn, plain; closed in summer, when all the
inhabitants migrate to Ober-Mutten). Thence to (l'/i hr.) Ober-Mutten(6148';
Hosang's Inn), from which the Muttnerhorn (8071'), a splendid point of
view, may be.ascended in l'/2 hr.: good path at first, then up grassy slopes.
Descent from Ober-Mutten to (2'/2 hrs.) Zillis or to Thusis interesting, but
rather rough.] The bridge across the Muttner Tobel affords a fine view
of the gorge. (I1/* M.) Unler-Solis, a hamlet with a spring containing iodine.
High above, to the left, lies Obervalz (p. 360). Looking back near the last
tunnel, we obtain a fine survey of the Heinienberg, and before us a view
of Alvaschein and the peaks of the Albula group. The road now crosses
the profound ravine of the Albula by the "Solis Bridge, 250' above the
foaming stream, and ascends in a curve (cut off by a path to the right
beyond the bridge) to the village of (2 M.) Alvaschein (Augustin). Oppo¬
site, below the loftily situated Stiirvis, is a waterfall. Farther on, to the
right, below the road, is the church of Miistail, the oldest in the Albula
valley, formerly a burial-place. At Unter-Miistail there is an alkaline spring.
The road unites with the Julier route near (li/2 M.) Tiefenkasten (p. 354).
Immediately above Thusis the turbid Nolla, a torrent which has
frequently devastated this district, falls into the Rhine. The ex¬
tensive bulwarks now confining it are worthy of inspection.
The Lake of Liisch (6398'), on the Heinzenberg (p. 342), above the
village of Tschappina (p. 332), has no visible outlet. Its water softens the
porous slate of its banks to the consistency of mud, and large masses of
the strata adjoining it periodically slide down to the Nolla. Tschappina
itself is built in part on a shifting foundation, some of its buildings hav-