OLIVONE. 93. Route. 341
The road now crosses for the last time the Mittelrhein, which
rises in several little lakes in the Val Cadlimo, which opens on
the right, and ascends gradually to the (11/i M.) the Lukmanier
Pass (6289'). To the left rises the black, slaty summit of the Scop't;
on the right are the Piz dell' Uomo, Piz Bias, Piz dell' Ufiern, and
Piz Rondadura. We now descend, over beds of avalanches and
mud-streams which have been precipitated from the bare, yellowish
slopes of the Piz Corvo on the left, and which frequently endanger
the road in wet weather, to the former (2 M.) hospice of Casaecia
(5978'), prettily situated. To the E. towers the huge Rheinwaldhorn
A path leads hence over the Predelp Pass (8053') to (5 hrs.) Faido
(p. 99). Another crosses the Passo Columbe (7792') between the Piz Seal
and the Piz Columbe to (3'/2 hrs.) Hdtel Piora (p. 98).
The road is level as far as the (IV2 M.) Lukmanier Inn (5580'),
at the beginning of the Piano di Segno, and then descends, high
above the Brenno, on the steep N. side of the Val S. Maria, being
hewn at places in the perpendicular rock. Below lie the chalets
of Campra, with several groups of chalets. We descend by a long
curve to the left to (4!/4 M.) the hospice of Camperio (4028'),
cross the Brenno, and skirt the wooded S. side of the valley,
soon obtaining fine views of the Val Blegno. Far below, among
walnut-trees , lie the villages of Somascona, Scona, and Olivone,
commanded by the conical Sosto (7087'). Descending another long
bend, we reach (3 M.) —
24 M. Olivone (2927'; *H6t. Olivone, moderate), the highest
village in the Val Blegno, or Pollenzer-Thal, picturesquely situated.
To the E. toweT the abrupt spurs of the Rheinwald range. To Vrin
by Ghirone, see p. 335. No guides to be had at Olivone.
The road crosses the Brenno by a stone bridge, and descends on
its left bank to (2 M.) Aquila and to (3/4 M.) Dangio (2645'), beau¬
tifully situated at the entrance to the Val Sojd. Vines and mulber¬
ries now appear, and the slopes are clothed with walnuts and chest¬
nuts. Next villages (J/2 M.) Torre, (l>/2 M.) Lottigna, and (1 M.)
Acquarossa (1739'), with a mineral spring. The valley contracts.
Then (l'/2 M.) Dongio, a long village (Inn, carriages), and (1 M.)
Motto, where the road divides. The road to the left (on the left
bank of the Brenno) leads by Malvaglia; that to the right (shorter,
and shady in the afternoon) goes by Ludiano and (2 M.) Semione.
The two roads re-unite at (2*/2 M.) the bridge of Loderio (1191').
The lower part of the valley is monotonous ; its broad floor is covered
with stony deposits, and the slopes are furrowed by torrents. After
crossing a mound of debris, the road descends to (l1^ M.) —
38 M. Biasca (p. 100), where the Val Blegno unites with the
Riviera (Val Ticino). The station of the St. Gotthard Railway is
3/4 M. to the S. of the village. Post-office at the station.