Maggiore. ARONA. 94. Route. 379
at Angera (only once daily) on the E. bank; the handsome chateau
above the latter belongs to Count Borromeo. The steamer then
finally stops at the railway-station below Arona.
Arona (73S') (*Italia or Post, diligence-office ; *Albergo
Reale, both on the quay; Cafe adjoining the Albergo Reale;
Cafe du Lac, by the quay), an ancient town on the W. bank,
with 3153 inhab., extends upwards on the slope of the hill. In
the principal church of S. Maria, the chapel of the Borromean
family, r. of the high-altar, contains an *Altar-pieee, the Holy
Family, a genuine work of Gaudenzio Vinci; it is surrounded
by 5 other smaller pictures, the upper representing God the
Father, at the sides eight saints and the donatrix.
On a height overlooking the entire district, U/2 M. N. of the
station and pier, is a colossal Statue of S. Carlo, 70' in height,
resting on a pedestal 42' high, erected in 1697 in honour of the
celebrated Cardinal, Count Carlo Borromeo, Archbishop of Milan,
born here in lf>38, died 1584, canonised 1610.
The head, hands, and feet of the statue are of bronze, the robe of
wrought copper. Notwithstanding its enormous dimensions, the statue is
not devoid of artistic merit, except that the ears are somewhat out of
proportion. The various parts are held together by iron clamps, and by
stout masonry in the interior. By means of ladders, kept in readiness in
the neighbourhood ( fee), the lower part of the robe can be attained on
the W. side, whence the interior may be entered. The venturesome climber
may now ascend by means of iron bars to the head of the statue, which
will accommodate 3 persons. A window is introduced at the back of the
statue. The suffocating heat and the number of bats which infest, the
interior render the ascent far from an enjoyable undertaking.
Relics of S. Carlo are preserved in the neighbouring Church.
Near it an extensive Ecclesiastical Seminary.
Pedestrians returning to Switzerland should direct their luggage
at Arona to Domo d'Ossola, poste restante, and after visiting the Borromean
Islands, proceed by Stresa to Orta over *Monte Motterone, see below ; thence,
or, if more convenient, from Gravellona (p. 260), on foot or by carriage to
Domo d'Ossola (p. 259), from which the Swiss diligence to Brieg over the
Railway by Novara to Turin, Alessandria, and Genoa, see Baedeker's
The Railway from Arona to Milan ( in 2'|i — 2'|2 hrs. ; fares
8 fr. 5, 5 fr. 85, 4 fr. 15 c.) runs on the S. bank of the lake, crosses the
Ticino, the boundary between Piedmont, and Lombardy (till 1859 the
frontier of Austria and Italy), and reaches Sesto Calende (Posta), at the
S.E. extremity of the Lago Maggiore, at the efflux of the Ticino. Stations
Vergiate and Somma. A sandy and sterile tract is traversed until the
train reaches stat. Gallarate (where the line to Varese diverges), a con¬
siderable town (5200 inhab.) at the S. E. base of a chain of hills, and at
the commencement of the extensive and fertile plain which tbe railway
to Milan now traverses. Maize, mulberries, and vines flourish here
luxuriantly. Stations Busto Arsizio, Legnano, Parabiago, Rhb, Musocco.
Milan, see p. 394.