Maggiore. PALLANZA. 94. Route. 377
view of the N. neighbours of Monte Rosa: first the Strahlhorn,
then the Misehabel and the Simplon. They are lost to view as
the steamboat turns the point between Intra and Pallanza, but
soon re-appear, and remain visible until lsola Bella is reached.
From the island itself they are hidden by the mountains of the
valley of the Tosa.
Intra (Vitello d'Oro; Leone d'Oro), a flourishing town with
manufactories chiefly belonging to Swiss proprietors, is situated
on an alluvial soil, between the mouths of two mountain streams,
the S. Giovanni and S. Bernardino. — Omnibus daily between
Intra, Pallanza, Gravellona, Omegna, and Orta; comp. pp. 260,
A church on the promontory of S. Remigio, which here juts
into the lake, occupies the site of a Roman temple of Venus.
This is the widest part of the lake. The little lsola S. Gio¬
vanni, with its chapel, house, and gardens, is one of the Bor-
Pallanza (*Gkand Hotel Pallanza, a large house, beautifully situ¬
ated, R. 3, B. l'|2, D. 4'|2, A. and L. 1>|2 fr.; omnibus on the quay. —
Posta ; Italia. — Boat with one rower to lsola Madre l1^, with two 3 fr.;
to lsola Bella 2'|2 or ';i|2, to both islands 3i|2 or 6, to Stresa 2'|2 or 4, to
Laveno 2!j2 or 4'J2, to Luino 6 or 10 fr., etc. — Diligence to Domo d'Ossola in
5 hrs., on the arrival of the steamboat from Magadino. Omnibus to Orta, see
above), the seat of the authorities of the province, is a thriving
little town (4000 inhab.), delightfully situated opposite the Bor-
romean Islands. Some of the gardens here (Rovelli, Cerutti, etc.)
are worthy of a visit.
The lake here forms an extensive bay, il/2 M. long and 2 M.
wide, running in a N.W. direction, at the N. extremity of which
is the influx of the impetuous Tosa (Toce). On the N.E.
bank lies Suna, on the S.W. Fariolo (Leone d'Oro), where the
Simplon road leaves the lake (comp. p.'260); the steamboat does
not always touch at these two stations. Then Baveno (*Bellevue;
Beaurivage; Hotel Sempione), a small town with 1300 inhab.,
the usual starting-point of travellers from the Simplon for a visit
*Borromean Islands. The steamers touch at the lsola Bella,
the most S. of these, which, together with the lsola Madre, be¬
longs to the Borromeo family. Between these two is situated the
lsola dei Pescatori, or Superiore, the property of the fishermen
who inhabit it. The fourth island to the N. is the lsola S.
Giovanni, already mentioned.
Count Vitaleo Borromeo (d. 1690) erected a chateau on *Isola
Bella, and converted the barren rock into beautiful gardens,
rising on 10 terraces 100' above the lake, and containing the
most luxuriant products of the south : lemon-trees, cedars, mag¬
nolias, cypresses, orange-trees, laurels, magnificent oleanders, etc.
(evening light most favourable for the view). Grottoes of shells,