LUGANO. 92. Route. 371
Lugano (932'), the largest town in the Canton of Ticino,
with 6024 inhab. (124 Prot.), is charmingly situated on the lake
of the same name, and enjoys quite an Italian climate (the aloe
blooms here in the open air). It is a very pleasant place for a
lengthened stay; the environs display all the charms of Italian
mountain scenery; numerous villages and country-seats are
scattered along the margin of the lake, and the lower hills are
covered with vineyards and gardens, contrasting beautifully with
the dark foliage of the chestnuts and walnuts in the back¬
ground. To the S., immediately above the town, rises the
Monte S. Salvatore, wooded to its summit (p. 372); among the
mountains towards the N. the double peak of Monte Camoghe
(7303'; p. 369) is conspicuous.
The interior of the town, with its arcades, workshops in the
open air, and granite-paved streets, is also thoroughly Italian in
its character. A variety of picturesque costumes will be observed
here at the Tuesday market.
The once numerous monasteries here were suppressed between
1848 and 1853, with the exception of two. The most important
was that of S. Maria degli Angioli, now the Hotel du Parc. The
adjacent church contains frescoes by Luini, the *Crucilixion, one
of his finest works, the Last Supper (on the 1. wall) in three
sections, formerly preserved at the Lyceum, and a Madonna (1st
chap, on the i\). — S. Lorenzo, the principal church, on an emi¬
nence (fine view from the terrace), probably erected by Tommaso
Rodari at the close of the loth cent., has a tastefully adorned
Adjoining the Theatre is the Hotel Washington, formerly the
government buildings, with a cool and pleasant colonnade court.
The hall contains a monument to the architect Canonico di Tesserete
and a marble bust of General Dufour.
A small temple at the Villa Tanzina, where suites of apart¬
ments may be hired, ]/4 M. S. of the Hotel du Parc, contains
a bust of Washington, 'magnum sctculorum decus'. The pro¬
prietor is an Italian who amassed a fortune in America. — The
Villa Vasalli, charmingly situated near the Hotel du Parc, of
which it is now a de'pendance, has a beautiful and very exten¬
sive garden, containing fine cedars, magnolias, camellias, etc. —
Superb view from the tower in the garden of the Villa Enderlin,
to which access is permitted by the proprietor.
The handsome *Park of M. Ciani (d. 1867), extending along
the N. bay of the lake (strangers readily admitted, gardener 1 fr.),
contains a marble Monument erected by the late proprietor to
the memory of his parents, and executed by Vine. Vela in 1850.
Opposite the Hotel du Parc, on the new and broad quay, is
a Fountain with a Statue of William Tell, 8 ft. in height, in
white sandstone, designed by Vine. Vela.