368 Route 90. ROVEREDO.
93/4 M. Cama (1260'), 2i/.2 M. from Lostallo, the first figs
and mulberries are seen, near the Capuchin convent; 3/4 M.,
Leggia (1125'); l'^M., Grono (1000'), with the massive tower
of Florentina, and near it a chapel adorned with ancient fres¬
coes, at the mouth of the Val Cutanea.
The Val Calanca, 18 M. in length, ascends in a straight direction to¬
wards the Vogelberg (or Adula group, p. 366). A good road, first on the
1., then on the r. bank of the Calancasca, leads by Molina, Arvigo, S. Do-
menica, and Augio to (12 M.) Rossa (3576') (Inn), the principal village in
the valley. (Difficult route hence to the W. by the Qiunella Pass, 6955',
to Malvaglia in the Val Blegno, p. 311.) The road terminates here. Val-
bella (4383'), the highest hamlet, is 1 hr. farther up, beyond which is the
(1 hr.) Alp Alogna (4655'). Thence to the E. over the Passo dei Passetti
(6808') to S. Bernardino (p. 367) 4—5 hrs.; guide advisable.
l'/4 M. Koveredo (974') (Posta; Croce; *Angelo, landlord
speaks German), the capital (1171 inhab.) of the lower Val
Mesocco , with the ruined castle of the once powerful Trivulzio
S. Vittore (882') is the last village of the Grisons, Lumino the
first of the Canton Ticino. Before the Moesa bridge is crossed, the
Bernardino route joins the St. Gotthard Road (p. 85). Below the
confluence of the Moesa and the Tessin (Ticino) stands Arbedo
(813'), a village connected with a sad event in the history of
Switzerland. On 30th July, 1422, a battle took place here
between 3000 Swiss and 24,000 Milanese, in which 2000 of the
former fell. They were interred beneath several mounds of earth,
termed Chiesa Rossa from their red colour, near the church of St.
93/4 M. Bellinzona, see p. 85.
Travellers may proceed from Bellinzona to Milan (p. 394) via Lago
Maggiore (R. 95) or Lugano (next route); comp. Baedeker's JV. Italy.
91. From Bellinzona to Como (Milan].
Comp. Map, p. 384.
37'|2 M. Diligence to Camerlata twice daily in 73|4 hrs. (fare 8 fr.
70 c). The passage of Monte Cenere and the journey from Lugano to Capo-
lago may be performed on foot.
The road leaves the valley of the Ticino near Cadenazzo
(751', p. 373), 33/4 M. from Bellinzona (p. 85), and winds up¬
wards through a beautiful chestnut wood, along the slope of
Monte Cenere (4y2M.), commanding a variety of fine *views of
Bellinzona and the valley of the Ticino , the influx of the latter
into the Lago Maggiore, the N. part of that lake, and Locarno.
On the summit of the pass (1814'j stands a guard-house (Corpo
di Guardia), and near it the Osteria Nuova. The road then
descends between the mountains, in a fertile valley, and reaches
93/4 M. Bironico (1420'), where the Vedeggio (a stream
which rises at the foot of Monte Camoghe, a few miles to the E.,
usually dry in summer) is reached.