90. From Splugen to Bellinzona. Bernardino.
Comp Map, p. 300.
45'|2 M. Diligence in 7>J2 hrs., fare 15 fr. 20 c, coupe 17 fr. 55 c.
Two-horse carr. from Coire to Bellinzona 170, to Lugano 200 fr.
Splugen (4757'), see p. 361. The road intersects the upper
Rheinwaldthal (Val Rhein), where many traces of the devasta¬
tion caused by the flood of 1868 are still visible. l'/2 M.,
Medels (5029'); l'/4 M., pasture of Ebi (4960'), where the
'Landsgemeinde' used formerly to assemble biennially on the
first Sunday in May; l3/4 M., Nufenen, Ital. Novenna (5170')
(HSssli), at the mouth of the Areue-Thal (route over the Valser
Berg to the Lugnetzthal and llanz, see p. 306). About 2 M.
6i/2 M. Hinterrhein (5328') (*Post) , the highest village in
Source of the Hinter-Rhein. The 'Sprung', or ' Ursprttng' (source), is
4 hrs. to the S.W. (to the Zapportalp 3 hrs., thence to the source 1 hr.
lough walking). The interest of this excursion (guide necessary) perhaps
hardly repays the fatigue. The path, which is injured annually by inun¬
dations and landslips, for some distance traverses loose stones brought down
by the river, which is crossed several times. The inhabitants of the valley
say that the most favourable time for this excursion is the end of June, as
avalanches are then no longer to be apprehended, although the snow is still
lying, on which it is less latiguing to walk than on the loose stones. On
approaching the source from the last hut occupied by the shepherds
(p. 323), a wild and barren rock is seen on the r. bank, at the base of
which the infant Rhine forms a small cascade. This bleak district is known
as the Hblle ('hell'). On the same side, farther on, is a poor pasture strewn
with rocks, termed by way of antithesis the Parodies ('paradise'). This
narrow valley is terminated by the Rheinwald or Zapport Glacier. The
Hinter-Rhein issues from an aperture (7270'), in shape resembling a cow's
mouth. The stream, which from the first is of considerable volume, is
soon augmented by numerous sm;-ll tributaries issuing from crevices of
the glacier. On the 1. bank lies the sunny Zapportalp (6417'), with a new
Clubhut of the Swiss Alpine club, a Hording room for twenty persons (oc¬
cupied by Bergamasque shepherds in 1872). From this Alp, which faces
the S., the Rheinwald Gku-o-r may be ascended in order to obtain a good
view of the vast Adula, or .' cinu< Id Jits.: the Marscholhorn, or Moschel-
horn [i'iz Moesola, 9521'), the Vogelberg (10,499'), the Rheinwaldhoru (Piz
Adula, or Piz Valrhein, 11.148'), the Giiferhorn 111,132'), etc.
The Bernardino Road crosses the first bridge (5301'), which
spans the Rhine with three arches. 1/2 M. beyond Hinterrhein.
It then winds up the steep S. slope in zigzags , commanding a
fine view of the valley of the Rhine. On reaching the ridge, it
leads through a narrow and desolate valley to the S. Bernardino
(6768'). The Romans were acquainted with this pass, which,
until the beginning of the 15th cent., was known as the Vogel¬
berg. At the period when St. Bernardino of Siena preached the
gospel in this district, a chapel was erected on the W. slope,
whence the pass derived its present name (not to te confounded
with the Great and Little St. Bernard, pp. 236, 233). Near the
(3/4 M.) small Lago Moesola , where several species of rare and
beautiful Alpine plants are met with, stands the large Casa di