to Fiume. FIUME. 75. Route. 389
Klek. 312 M. Gomirje. Several tunnels before and after (316 M.)
Vrbovsko. At (321 M.) Cameral - Moravice or Komorske - Moravice
(Rail. Restaurant) we quit the valley of the Dobra. 327 M. Skrdd
(2126 ft.), finely-situated. The train describes a wide curve and
passes through three tunnels. 339 M. Delnice (2385 ft.; pop. 3000).
Beyond (345 M.) Lokve (2638 ft.) the train passes through the Sleme
Tunnel, 340 yds. long, the highest point of the line (2884 ft.).
It then descends, crossing the Licanka Viaduct, to (350 M.) Fu-
zine; then in long windings and through a tunnel to (354y2 M.)
Lie (2660 ft.), on the margin of the Karst plateau, where the
Adriatic Sea first comes in sight (on the right). The line descends
in a long bend to (360 M.) Plase (1808 ft.), inhabited by Italians
and Croatians. Then Afe)a and Buccari, with a fine castle. The
train crosses the Fiumara (Recina) and passes through a tunnel
under the Calvarienberg.
377 M. Fiume. — Hotels. "Europa, "Hot. Lloyd, both in the Ada-
mic-Platz at the quay; "Deak, by the station and quay; "Hot, de la Ville,
near the station, R. 1 fl. — Restaurants. "Hotel Lloyd, see above; "Ziegler,
opposite the theatre; Goldner Stem,\i& delGoverno; "Lenussi, Piazza Mar-
secchia; Volksgarten, Via del Pino. — Cafes. Central, in the Hot. Europa;
Grand Cafi, Andrassy-Platz, etc.
Cab 40kr., at night 60 kr. — Baths at the Europa; sea-baths in the
inner harbour. — Theatre, Urmeny-Platz (performances in Italian in spriug
British Consul, G. L. Faber, Esq.; Vice-Consul, A. Steinacker, Esq. —
U. S. Consular Agent, Giovanni Gelletich (also Lloyd's agent).
Fiume, Slav. Rieka, the only seaport in Hungary, lies pictur¬
esquely at the N.E. end of the Bay of Quarnero. Anciently a thriv¬
ing town, and named St. Veil amFlaum in the middle ages, it was
at one time a fief of the Patriarchs of Aquileia ; it next belonged to
the Counts of Duino and the Barons of Gorizia; in 1471 it was an¬
nexed to the dominions of the House of Hapsburg by Emp. Fred¬
erick III.; in 1779 it was attached to Hungary, with which, after
several separations, it has been united since 1870. The town
(pop. with the suburbs 29,000) has three harbours: the Porto
Canale Fiumara, the Porto Nuovo, with large warehouses on the
piers, and the Petroleum Harbour. Its trade is rapidly increasing.
Among its factories are Whitehead's torpedo-works and Smith &
Meynier's paper-mill in the Fiumara Ravine. One of the finest
buildings is that of the Naval Academy, established in 1856. Another
is the Cathedral, with a new facade in the style of the Pantheon in
Rome. The church of St. Veit (1631) is an imitation of S. Maria
della Salute in Venice. The Government Buildings, the Theatre,
the Hungarian Tobacco Factory, and the two covered Markets also
deserve notice. The street entering the old town beneath the clock-
tower on the Corso leads to a Roman Triumphal Arch, said to have
been erected in honour of Emp. Claudius II. Gothicus (268-270).
Beautiful Giardino Pubblico.
A path flanked with oratories or stations ascends in 400 steps to