to Fiume. AGRAM. 75. Route. 387
opposite the post-office; Hot. Liebald .Gajgasse 12; Jagerhorn (PI. e; C,2),
Ilica 14; Hotel Garni, Gundulicgasse 7. — Restaurants. Railway Restaurant;
Schneider's Bierhalle, Gajgasse 1, near the Jellacic-Platz; Dimmlinger, Gaj-
gasse 9; Pilsner Bierhalle, Marie-Valerie-Gasse 3; Kolo Restaurant, in the
University Building; Theatre Restaurant, Markus-Platz 10. — Cafes. Grand
Cafi, National, Central, Europa, all in the Jellacic-Platz; Agram, Jug, Zrinyi-
Platz. — Confectioners. Carl Scholz, Langegasse 7; Hiibler, Jellacic-Platz;
Hblzl, Ilica 5.
Cab from the station to the town, with luggage, 1 fl.; i/< hr.'s drive in
the town 40 kr., V-jhr- 60 kr., 1 hr. lfl. — Tramway to the Maximir Park
via, the Ilica and Vlaska Ulica; to the South Railway Station, etc.
Baths. Diana-Bad, Ilica 8; River Baths, to the left of the railway-bridge
over the Save (cab 60 kr., omnibus 15 kr.). — Post Office, Gajgasse 4,
near the Jellacic-Platz. Telegraph Office, Gunduli6gasse 5.
Agram (400 ft.), Slav. Zagreb, Hung. Zdgrdb, the capital of Croatia,
with 37,400 inhab., and seat of a university founded in 1874, is
prettily situated on the Medvescak, iy2 M. from the Save. The
town, partly destroyed by an earthquake on 9th Nov., 1880, but
since rebuilt, consists of the Upper and the Lower Town. In the
former are the Palace of the Banus (governor of Croatia; PL 9, C 1),
the Theatre (PI. 13; C, 1), the Natural History Museum (PL C, 1;
Sun. & Thurs., 10-1), St. Mark's Church (PI. 1, C 1; Gothic, with
rococo tower), the Archiepiscopal Palace (PL D, 2), in the square in
front of which rises a "Column of the Virgin, by Fernkorn and Pon-
ninger, the "Cathedral (PL 4, D 2; a fine late-Gothic edifice of
the 15th cent., lately restored; towers being rebuilt), and the Stross-
mayer Promenade (PL C, 2), affording a beautiful view of the valley
of the Save. Most of the buildings in the lower town are modern.
The two parts of the town are connected by a Cable Tramway (Rampe;
PL C, 2), beginning in the Ilica, not far from the Jellacic-Platz.
The Jellacic-Platz is adorned with an equestrian statue of the
Banus Jellacic (&. 1859; PL 16, D 2). The Marie-Valerie-Gasse
leads hence to the S., past the Museum of Art and Industry (PL 14;
Sun. & Thurs., 9-1) and the Synagogue (PL D, 2), to the large
Zrinyi-Platz (PL D, 2), with its promenades. On the E. side rises
the Palace of Justice (PL 10), in the Renaissance style; on the S.
side is the palatial Academy of Science (PL 12; D, 3), with its fine
court and valuable collections (antiquities and Strossmayer's picture-
gallery, daily, 9-12; library, 11-12.30, daily except Sun.). The
Academie-Platz is adorned with marble busts of the Croatian painters
Clovio andMedulid (Schiavone) and Gen. Franftopan(orFrangepani),
and an equestrian statue of St. George by Fernkorn. On the S.
side is the Chemical Laboratory of the University. — To the W. of
the Academy the Kukovicgasse leads past the Protestant Church (PL 7,
C 2; the only one in Croatia) to the Sajmiste, or market-place
(PL C, 2), on the N. side of which is the handsome Romanesque
building of the Francis Joseph University, and on the S. side the
headquarters of the Agricultural Society (PL 15). The Frankopan-
gasse and the busy Ilica (PL B, C, 2), the chief street in Agram,
lead back hence to the Jellacic-Platz.