fo Gratz. KIS CZELL. 73. Route. 383
Feom Boba to Csakathurn, 85 M., railway'in 7i/4-93/4 hrs. — 5M. Jdnos-
hdza; 672 M. Nemes-Keresztur; 11 M. Ukk (branch to Tapolcza, see below).
Several unimportant stations. 18 M. Tiirje^^/iM. Kisfalud-Szt-Ivdn (branch
tofZala-Szt-Ivan, I1/4 M.); 3374 M. Zala-Egersczeg; 7I1/2 M. Alsd-Lendva. The
Mur is crossed. 75 W.\Mura-Szerdahely. 85 M. Csakathurn, see p. 385.
From Ukk (see'above) a branch-line (18 M. in I1/2 hr.) runs'.via (572 M.)
Siimeg, with the ruin of Silmegvdr, birthplace of the poet!Alexander Kis-
faludy (p. 327), to Tapolcza. A road leads from Tapolcza past theruin
•of Csobdncz to (972 M.) Badacsony on the Platten-See (p. 385).
119 M. Kis Czell (Hungaria; Schwarzer Adler; Krone; Rail.
Restaurant), a well-known pilgrim-resort. The neighbouring Sdger
Berg yields good wine.
To Raab, 44i/2 M., railway in 274 hrs. Unimportant stations. At (16 M.)
Pdpa (Griff; Tiroler; pop. 15,000) is a chateau of Count Esterhazy, with
a gateway brought from the Tuileries at Paris, after the fire. — 4472 M.
Raab, see p. 317.
At (132 M.) Sdrvdr is an old castle of Archduke Francis Ferdi¬
nand, still inhabited. — 148 M. Steinamanger. see p. 381.
153 M. Kis Unyom; 158 M. Egyhazas-Rdddc. — 164 M. Kbrmend,
on the Raab, chief place in a barony of Prince Batthyany, to which
it gives its name. About 10 M. to the W. is the prince's chateau of
Giissing, the foundations of which are said to be of Roman origin.
The line proceeds in the valley of the Raab. 169i/2 M. Csdkdny,
with another chateau of Prince Batthyany; 3 M. to the S. is Ivanc,
on the Raab, with a chateau of Countess Sigray. — 172i/2 M. Rdba
Szt. Mihdly, with a chateau of Herr von Szell. 181 M. St. Gotthard,
with a large Cistercian abbey, was the scene of Montecuccoli's victory
over the Turks in 1664; the 'Schlossl', his headquarters, lay on the
hill, about */2 hr. farther on. 187 M. Jennersdorf, Hung. Gyanafalva,
is the last Hungarian station. On the hill to the left is Count
Batthyany's chateau of Neumarkt. 190l/2 M. Hohenbrugg, with a
chateau of Baron Mersay. — 193 M. Fehring, with the ruins of an
old fortification named Tabor.
About 472 M. to the S. is the village of Kapfenstein (920 ft.; Lutz's Inn),
at the foot of the Kapfensteinerberg (1545 ft.), with a chateau and church.
The 11th cent, chateau of Pertlstein, 272 M. to the W. (carr. 1 11.), was
restored and fitted up with Oriental magnificence by Sefer Pasha, the
Turkish general. — A pleasant footpath leads hence via Fehringleiten to
(6 M.) the baths of Gleichenberg (p. 384).
To Hartberg, 3172 M., railway in 3 hrs. — 3 M. Hatzendorf is the
station for Riegersburg (1235 ft.; Neuhold's Inn; 272 M., carr. 1 fl.; footpath
2 M.). Schloss Riegersburg, on a steep rock (2695 ft.), defied all the
attacks of the Turks. It is entered by a winding path cut in the rock
with seven successive gateways. The chapel contains an altar-piece by
Krafft. The view ranges over nearly 500 sq. M. — 13 M. Fiirstenfeld
(Brauhaus; Pferschy; Stadt Triest, etc.; Rail. Restaurant), on the Feistritz,
has a large tobacco-factory (2000 hands) and a commandery of the Order
of St. John. Large quantities of hops are grown in the vicinity, the harvest
beginning in August. — The train proceeds in the Safenthal via (1772 M.)
Bierbaum (branch to Neudau, on the Lafnitz, 6 M.), Blumau, Waldersdorf,
and Sebersdorf (to the left is Neustift, with the chateau of Ober-Mayerhofen),
to (3U/2 M.) Hartberg (1180 ft.; inn), a summer-resort, prettily situated
at the foot of the Ringkogl (2163 ft.).
To the right, as we proceed, is the chateau of Johnsdorf, and to
the left, farther on, that of Hainfeld, formerly in the possession of