382 Route 73. VESZPRIM. From Budapest
heroic defender Count Nicholas Zrinyi in 1566, an event dramatized
by Th. Korner. — 236 M. Szt. Lbrincz. (Branch-line to Dombovdr,
see p. 386.)
248 M. Funfkirchen, Hung. Pecs ("Nador; Wilder Mann; Gold¬
nes Schiff; "Kbnig Matthias; Rail. Restaurant; cab to the station
80 kr.; pop. 33,800), capital of the county of Baranya and residence
of a bishop, is prettily situated. The fine Romanesque Cathedral, with
its four towers, has been restored in the original style since 1882.
Under the choir is a crypt with double aisles, to which eighteen steps
descend. In the Dom-Platz, adjoining the S.E. tower, is the subter¬
ranean Sacellum, probably a burial-chapel of the 5th century. Five
Mosques of the Turkish period (1543-1686) still exist; three are in
ruins; tbe other two have been converted into the Stadtkirche and
the Franciscan Church, the latter with a minaret. Handsome Syna¬
gogue. Large majolica manufactory. In the vicinity are valuable
coal-mines, owned by the Danube Steamboat Co., with briquette
factories, coke-kilns, and a prettily-situated mining village (5000
inhab.). The slopes of the Meczek Hills yield excellent wine. To the
S. (6 M.) are the warm sulphur-baths of Harkdny.
The line turns towards the S. Stations: Uszbg, Ata, Trinitds.
270 M. Villdny, well known for its wine, junction for Essegg (p. 369).
Then Nimet-Boly and (285 M.) Mohacs (p. 370).
73. From Budapest to Gratz via Steinamanger.
235 M. Railway in 10 hrs. (fares 11 fl. 5, 8 fl. 25, 5 fl. 50 kr.).
To (43 M.) Stuhlweissenburg, see p. 384. — 481/2 M. Zichyfalva,
with a chateau of Count Zichy; 57 M. Vur Palota, 3 M. to the N.W.
of which is Puszta Palota, a ruined hunting-lodge of Matthew Cor¬
vinus; 591/2 M. Pet; 66 M. Hajmdsker.
71 M. Veszprim (850 ft.; Krone; Sonne), with 12,584 inhab.,
is an episcopal town, situated 2 M. to the S. of the station on a rocky
hill on the Sid, and was long in the possession of the Turks, of
whom a tall minaret is a reminiscence. Near the large episcopal
residence is the Gisela Chapel, said to have been built by Queen
Gisela (p. 317) in the 11th cent, but obviously of later date. The
Cathedral, in the 14th cent. Transition style, has a late-Gothic crypt,
with slender octagonal pillars.
Pleasant excursions may be taken hence to the Cistercian convent of
Zircz in the Bakonyer Wald (carr. in 2 hrs., 6 fl.) and to the baths of
Fured on the Platten-See (p. 355; carr. in 172 hr., 5 fl.).
79l/2 M. Herend (1120 ft.) has a large porcelain-factory. The line
winds through the Bakonyer Wald, and reaches its highest point
(1220 ft.) near Gombds, whence it descends via (83l/2 M.) Vdros-
Lbd, with potteries, and (87 M.) Ajka to (100 M.) Devecser, with
a chateau of Prince Esterhazy, in the valley of the Torna. To the
riifht of (104 M.) Somld Vdsarhely appears the conical Somld-hegy or
Schomlauer Berg (1395 ft.), with the ruin of Somldritr. — 105 M.
Tiiskivar; 114 M. Boba.