378 Route 70. MEHADIA. From Budapest
beate baths of Buzids lie 21 M. to the E. (diligence from the Gold-
ner Hirsch in 37-2 hrs., fare 2 fl.). — From Temesvar to Bdzids, see
p. 379; to Arad and Szolnok, see p. 366.
The train now follows the right bank of the Bega to Temesvdr-
Fabrik, Remete, Rekds, Topolovecz, and Belincz-Kiszetd, crosses the
Bega, and enters the fertile valley of the Temes. —225!/2M. Lugos
(Kbnig von Ungarn), a prosperous town with 12,550 inhab., capital
of the county of Krassov, and seat of a United Greek bishop, con¬
sists of Deutsch-Lugos on the left bank of the Temes and Romanisch-
Lugos on the right. It was the last seat of the Hungarian govern¬
ment in August, 1849.
233M. Gavosdia; 242 M. Kavardn-Szdkul. — 249 M. Karanaebes
(Rail. Restaurant; "Griiner Baum, with garden; cab to the town
1 fl. 24 kr., omn. 30 kr.), capital of the county of Szoreny, a small
town at the influx of the <Se6e« into the Temes, and seat of a non-
united Greek bishop, with 5500 inhab., chiefly Roumanians.
From Karansebes to Hatszeg, 41*/2 M.> carriage in 10 hrs. for 12-14 fl.
Beyond (372 31.) Jds the road ascends the valley of the Bisitra via, Qlimboka
to (IOV2 M.) Ohdba Bisztra (inn), at the foot of the mountains, Ferdinands-
berg (Ndndorhegy), with mines, and (167s M.) Voitzlova (1075 ft.; inn), the
last village in the Banat, whence a route diverges to the left to the found¬
ries of Ruskberg and (2V2 hrs.) Ruszkica. The next villages, Unter-Baucar
and (2072 M.) Ober-Bancdr (1490 ft.; inn), are in Transylvania. The road
proceeds through wood in the gradually contracting valley via Bukdva to
the (26 M.) Eiserne Thor Pass (2t52 ft.), and descends via Zajkdny in view
of the broad Hatszeg valley to (3172 M.) Vdrhely (p. 406).
The valley of the Temes contracts. Several tunnels and the
stations of Kbrpa, Temes-Szlatina, and Ormenyes are passed. The
train ascends more rapidly, and at Teregova leaves tbe Temes, which
rises on tbe Semenik (4750 ft.), 15 M. to the W. At (273'/2 M.)
Porta Orientalis (1690 ft.) we reach the highest point of the line
(tunnel of 1100 yds.), and then descend through picturesque scenery
to Kornia (1162 ft.) and the valley of the Mehadica, in which lies
(287 M.) Jablanicza (762 ft.; tunnel). Entering the valley of the
Bela, we next reach (29iy2 M.) Mehadia, the Roman colony Ad
Medium, a thriving little town with a few Roman remains. — 294 M.
Station Herculesbad, Hung. Hercules-Fiirdb, at the confluence of the
Bela and the Cerna (Rail. Restaurant; omn. to the baths 50 kr., carr.
1 fl., with luggage 1 fl. 40 kr.).
A road leads from the station, crossing the Cerna by a suspension-
bridge, to the Hercules-Bad (519 ft.; Ferdinands-Hof, Franzenshof, 'Franz-
Josefs-Hof, "Rudolfshof, Curhaus, all built at government expense; Hdt.
Cdth; several restaurants, including "Reisz, opposite the Franzenshof), beau¬
tifully situated in the romantic rocky ravine of the Cerna, 3 M. to the
N.E. The numerous hot springs (125-146° Fahr.), which several inscrip¬
tions prove to have been known to the Romans ( Thermae Herculis), relieve
chronic rheumatism and other ailments. Some of them rise in the lime¬
stone rocks and are strongly impregnated with sulphur; others, without
mineral ingredients, resembling those of Gastein, rise in the granite. Of
the latter the oldest and most copious is the Hercules Spring, which rises
in a jet 18 inches thick. Handsome "Cursalon in the Byzantine style,
containing concert-rooms, a cafe", etc.; on each side, under arcades, is the
Bazaar. Baths in the Neue Bad, the Elisabelhbad, etc. The valley is so