376 Route 70. SZEGEDIN. .From Budapest
118 M. Szegedin. — Arrival. Szegedin has two railway-stations con¬
nected with each other, viz. Szeged and Szeged-Rdkus (for Grosswardein, etc.).
— Hotels. Gr. Hot. Tisza, Hot. Europa, both of the first class; Schwaezer
Adlee or Fekete Sas, less expensive; Sieben Kurfursten. — Restaurants at
the hotels; also, Zum Propheten. — Post, Telegraph, and Telephone Office,
Szechenyi-Platz. — Cab to or from the stations 1 fl.; from one station to
the other 172 fl., at night 2(1.; per Vs hr. 50, »/4 hr. 80 kr., per hr. lfl.;
each additional 1/4 hr. 20 kr.
Szegedin, Hung. Szeged, an important commercial town with
87,250 inhab., at the confluence of the Maros and Theiss, was almost
entirely destroyed by an inundation in March, 1879, in which 2000
persons perished, and has since been rebuilt in an improved style.
The centre of the town is occupied by the Sze'che'nyi-Platz, sur¬
rounded by avenues, in which are situated the handsome rococo
Rathhaus (view from the tower) and other large buildings. The
Theatre, near the Briicken-Platz, has Hungarian performances from
Sept. to May. Tbe adjoining Stefanie Promenade is a fashionable
resort on summer evenings. The Maria-Theresia-Thor (restaurant)
is a relic of the old fortifications. A bronze statue erected in 1876
in the Dugonics-Platz commemorates Dugonics (1740-1818), the
earliest author in the native Hungarian tongue. The Gothic Cathedral,
built in the reign of King Matthias, is adjoined by a Franciscan Mon¬
astery containing a valuable library and interesting antiquities and
ecclesiastical vessels. The town possesses numerous schools and
charities. The Theiss, with its busy traffic, is flanked with substan¬
tial quays. Two iron bridges connect the town with Neu-Szegedin
on the opposite bank. The public gardens at Neu-Szegedin and the
Kallay wood to the E. (restaurants at both) are much frequented.
From Szegedin to Grosswardein and Essegg, see p. 368.
From Szegedin to Arad, 74 M., railway in 4 hrs. (fares 3 fl. 60, 2 fl.
70, 1 fl. 80 kr.). 19V2 M. Makd, a busy town on the Maros (pop. 30,063).
4272 M. Mezbhegyes, with a famous stud, yielding 1000 horses per annum;
branch-line to (25 M.) Kitegyhdza (p. 366). Batonya (pop. 8642) and Picska
(pop. 7827), on the Maros, are stations of importance. 74 M. Arad, see p. 366.
From Szegedin to Semlin, steamer down the Theiss (water permit¬
ting) thrice weekly in 10 hrs. (fares 4 fl. 30, 2 fl. 15, 1 fl. 45 kr.; up
stream in 16 hrs.). Stations: Alt-Kanizsa; TorOk-Kanizsa; Zenta (p. 368);
Ada; Mohol; Alt-Becse, with 16,850 inhab. (p. 368); Neu-Becie. On the
right is the mouth of the Franz ens-Canal (p. 370). Then Titel, a barge-
building place, at the mouth of the Biga-Canal. At Theisseck we enter
the Danube. Thence to Semlin, see p. 371.
The train crosses the Theiss by a handsome iron bridge and enters
the extensive and fertile plains of the Banat. Stations Szbregh,
Oroszldmos, Valkdny (Rail. Restaurant; branch-line to Perjdmos and
Varjas, 3iy2 M.), Mokrin. — 152 M. Nagy Kikinda (Hdtel Kasch;
Kada; pop. 19,860). Branch-line hence via Nagy Becskerek (pop.
21,700), on the Bega, Szecsany, and Nagy Margita to Versecz (p. 379).
— Szt. Hubert, Hatzfeld (Hung. Zsombolya, with a chateau of Count
Csekonics), Gyertydmos, Beregszd, Szakdlhdza.
188 M. Temesvar. — Hotels in the town: "Kronprinz Rudolf;
"Hungaria; Sieben Kurfursten; Goldnee Hirsch, R. from 80 kr. — In
the suburb of F'abrik: Goldneb Pfao, in the Haupt-Platz. — In the suburb