Budapest to Orsova. IRON GATES. 69. Route. 375
L. (3.50 p.m.) Orsova (pron. Orshova; Kbnig von Ungarn, with
garden on the river, R. from 1 fl. 20 kr.; Weisses Kreuz; Kaiser von
Oesterreich; Goldner Hirsch, with cafe; "Ungarische Krone, at the sta¬
tion), a prettily-situated little town at the mouth of the Cerna, on the
left bank of which, 2 M. from the pier (cab 1 fl.; to the Hercules-Bad
5 fl.), is the station of the Temesvar and Bucharest Railway (R. 70).
Austrian custom-house. Above the town, to the N., is the Shooting
Range (rfmts. ; fine view). A chapel near the railway-station, on
the road to Verciorova, marks the spot where Kossuth buried the crown
of Hungary in 1849. To the E. rises the hill of Allion (1040 ft.).
This district is chiefly inhabited by Roumanians, recognisable by
their peculiar costume. — The steamer moors at Orsova for the night.
About 3 M. lower down lies the island of Neu-Orsova or Ada-
Kaleh, taken by the Austrians in 1878, with an interesting Turkish
colony, old fortifications, etc. (interesting expedition by boat, 2 fl.,
and back on foot). To the left is the mouth of the Bachna, which
forms the boundary between Hungary and Roumania. On the left
bank is the first Roumanian village Verciorova (custom-house), a
station on the railway to Bucharest (p. 379). Half-an-hour below
it are tbe Iron Gates, Turkish Demir Kapu, the last great defile
of the Danube, li/2 M. in length, in which the river falls 16 ft.
The recently completed regulation-works here, which have provided
a constantly navigable channel by blasting away some of the rocks,
lie chiefly on the right or Servian bank. To the left, on the narrow
bank, run the Bucharest Railway and the Orsova and Turn Severin
road, constructed by the Roumanian government in continuation of
the Szechenyi road (p. 373).
70. From Budapest to Temesvar (and Bazias), Orsova,
3081/2 M. Railway to Verciorova in IO72-I91/4 hrs.; fares 8 fl., 5 fl.
86 kr., 4 fl.; express 9 fl. 60 kr., 7 fl. (From Vienna to Bucharest in
26 hrs.) Dining-cars run to Lugos.
On quitting the West Station at Budapest (p. 323), the train leaves
the Stadtwaldchen (p. 333) to the right (the line to Godollo diverges to
the left, p. 338), and turns towards the S.E.; scenery uninteresting.
5 M. Steinbruch (Hung. Kbbdnya; p. 338); 9 M. Szt. Lbrincz; 14 M.
Vecses. As far as (18 M.) Ullb the hills of Ofen continue in sight.
23 M. Monor; 30 M. Pilis, with two chateaux and a park; 34y2 M.
Alberti-Irsa. — 45y2 M. Czegled ("Rail. Restaurant; Hbtel Fischer;
pop. 27,700), junction for Abony and (18 M.) Szolnok (p. 365).
56 M. Nagy Kbrbs (noted for its melons); 65 M. Kecskemet
(Krone; pop. 48,300), a straggling town, with busy cattle and corn
markets and extensive fruit-culture (excellent apples); then Puszta
Pdka; Felegyhdza (Adler; pop. 30,450), yielding fruit, tobacco, and
wine (junction for Csongrdd, 15y2 M.); Puszta Peteri, between two
ponds; Kistelek; Szatymdz; Dorosma, with natron-springs.