Budapest to Orsova. BELGRADE. 69. Route. 373
view across the junction of the Save and the Danube towards Semlin.
On the Danube, on the N.E. side of the fortress, is the Dortschol,
or Turkish town, formerly the principal quarter, with the ruins of
a palace of Prince Eugene (the foundations of which seem to be
much older). On the Save, on the W. side, is the Servian or Rascian
Town (Savamahala), with steep streets and the steamboat-quay
(below the cathedral). The town properly so called, with its new
streets and handsome buildings, lies on the S. side of the fortress,
from which it is separated by the park of Kalimegdan, the chief pro¬
menade. The chief street is the Milan Street, formerly called the
Terazia, with the best shops (handsome weapons, carpets, travelling-
rugs, etc., dear). In this street are (from N. to S.) the University,
with a Museum of Servian Antiquities, the theatre, the bronze eques¬
trian statue of Prince Michael (see below), various government-
offices, the old and new royal palaces (Konak), the officers' casino,
etc. A little to the W. of the university rises the cathedral, and to
the W. of the casino is the Skuptschina. The Oriental appearance
of the town is interesting. The railway-station lies near the Save,
on the S.W. — Topschider, a station on the line to Nisch (electric
tramway, see p. 372), the country-seat of the king, 3 M. to theW.,
has a large park (two restaurants), where Prince Michael Obreno-
witch was assassinated on 10th June, 1868.
The steamboat, which usually starts at 5.30 a.m., passes close
to the walls of the fortress. The left bank is flat and marshy. Numer¬
L. The navigable Temes falls into the Danube, which is here
I1/4 M. in width. At its mouth is Pancsova, the stationforthe town
of Pancsova (18,000 inhab.; local steamer to Semlin 2-3 times daily),
which is situated 3 M. above.
R. Semendria, once a Turkish fortress, still walled.
L. Kubin. The town lies on an island opposite the quay. Then
on the right the influx of the Servian Morawa.
R. Dubrawitza. In the river, the island of Ostrova, 11 M. long.
R. Rama, a dilapidated Servian fort (near which are traces of Ro¬
man fortifications). Opposite lies —
L. O-Paldnka, an Austrian frontier-post. The horizon is bound¬
ed by the spurs of the Carpathians.
L. (10.20 a.m.) Bazias ("Hotel Bauer; Rail. Restaurant), the
terminus of the Temesvar and Bazias railway (p. 379), a small town
with an old convent. The Danube enters the hill-district of the South¬
ern Carpathians. A good road, made by the Hungarian government
in 1837-40 at the instance of Count Szechenyi, leads hence to Orsova.
Its viaducts and cuttings are frequently visible from the steamer.
To the right are the ruins of the Servian fortress of Gradistje,
at the mouth of the Pek.
L. Moldova (6 M. to the N. of which are the copper-mines of