372 Route 69. BELGRADE. The Danube from
R. (10.20 p.m.) Semlin, Hung. Zimony (Hotel Central; Grand
Hotel; Rail. Restaurant; pop. 18,000), tbe last Hungarian town on
the right bank of the Danube, seat of a Greek archbishop, with a
number of handsome buildings. On the Zigeunerberg, on the river,
are the remains of the castle of John Hunyadi, the Hungarian hero,
who died at Semlin in 1456. The population is chiefly Servian.
R. The Save, or Sau, the boundary between Hungary and Servia,
falls into the Danube below Semlin. Theisland(7Krieos-Jrn«ej,) formed
since the beginning of the 17th cent, by its deposits is the haunt of
numerous water-fowl. Steamboat on the Save from Semlin to Sissek
(p. 388) twice a week in 38 hrs.; local steamers between Semlin
and Belgrade hourly in 1/4 hr.
R. (10.35 p.m.) Belgrade. — Hotels. "Grand Hotel, near the cathe¬
dral, R. 2-8 fr., L. 40 c, pens, from 8 fr.; "Hotel de Paris, on the Te-
razia, with cafe, R. 2 fr. and upwards; Hotel Imperial ; Hotel National;
Crown of Servia, at the Kalimegdan Park. Servian wines good (Negotin,
etc.). — Restaurant. Deutsches Casino, with garden, next the Hotel de Paris.
Post Office, Vassina-Str.; Telegraph Office, Prince-Michael-Str. — Cabs
in the Terazia and the market-place (bargaining advisable). — Tramway from
the steamboat-quay past the railway-station to the centre of the upper
town, and from the citadel to the S. end of the upper town (fare 60 c).
Electric Tramway to Topschider (35 c). — Commissionnaires (porters) at
the street corners, moderate; from the steamboat to the station IV2 fr.,
after dusk 1 fr. 80 c. (bargain advisable).
Money. The unit of currency in Servia is the dinar or franc, which
is divided into 100 paras or 5 piastres. The ordinary coins are 5 and
10 paras in copper, and 1 and 2 dinars in silver. Austrian and other
foreign money also circulates freely: 1 Austrian ducat = 12 dinars; a
twenty franc piece = 22.40 dinars; a sovereign = 25 dinars; a Russian
rouble = 3.92 dinars. For a short stay Austrian notes are most convenient,
though a little loss is incurred in changing them (1 fl. = about 2 dinars).
The piastre is worth about 2d. English.
Passports are given up on landing and reclaimed at the police office
on the quay or at the station a few hours later. The custom-house exam¬
ination is lenient. At the principal resorts the traveller will generally
make himself understood in French, German, or English.
British Minister Resident, Edm. D. V. Fane, Esq.; Consul, Ranald D.
G. Macdonald, Esq. — American Minister Resident, S. Alexander, Esq.; Vice-
Consul General, E. Litzikas.
Belgrade, Serv. Beograd, Hung. Nandor-Feheroar, the capital
of the kingdom of Servia, with 40,000 inhab., lies picturesquely
on a promontory formed by the Danube and Save, at the base of a
limestone rock crowned by the dilapidated fortress. The town, the
Roman Singidunum, was a fortress of the utmost importance dur¬
ing the Turkish wars. In 1455 it was successfully maintained by
Hunyadi against Mohammed II., in 1522 it was captured by Soli-
man II., in 1688 retaken by Max Emanuel of Bavaria, in 1717 by
Prince Eugene, and in 1788 by Laudon, having after each suc¬
cessive peace been restored to the Turks. Down to 1867 the for¬
tress was occupied by a Turkish garrison, but the memorials of the
Turkish period are now very scanty.
To the N. is the Fortress proper, now in ruins, with the com¬
mandant's headquarters, several barracks, etc. It commands a fine