Budapest to Orsova. NEUSATZ. 69. Route. 371
witzer wine (see below) grows on the lower slopes, while the tops of
the hills are densely wooded.
L. Novoszello. — R. Sdrengrdd.
R. Ilok, Hung. Ujlak (Jdgerhorn), with a chateau of Prince
L. Palanka. — R. Cerevic.
L. Futak. The scenery improves. In the distance rise the
towers of Neusatz and the fortress of Peterwardein.
R. Kamenitz, prettily situated, with a chateau and park of Count
Karacsonyi. The large building on the hill, formerly a military acad¬
emy, is now used for the silk-culture. The river turns suddenly
to the N.
L. (6.20 p.m.) Neusatz, Hung. Ujvidek (Grand Hotel; Hotel
Elisabeth), a thriving town with 28,000 inhab., founded in 1740,
almost entirely destroyed in 1849, and since rebuilt, is the seat of
the Greek bishop of the Bacska, with ten churches. Extensive
corn-trade and fruit and vegetable cultivation.
R. Peterwardein, Hung. Petervdrad (Zum Griinen Baum), a town
with 3850 inhab., lies on a peninsula formed by the Danube, and
at the base of the rock on which the Fortress stands (visitors ad¬
mitted ; fine view). The arsenal contains Turkish weapons. In the
Franciscan church is the tomb of John Capistranus (d. 1465), the
celebrated preacher of the Crusades. On 5th Aug., 1716, Prince
Eugene defeated the Turks at Peterwardein, thus avenging their
violation of the Peace of Karlowitz. —Here begins the former Mili¬
tary Frontier, a long, narrow strip of land parallel with the Turkish
frontier, once under strict military organisation for defence against
the Turks. The E. part of it was annexed to Hungary in 1872, the
W. part to Croatia and Slavonia in 1881.
Below Peterwardein the Danube makes a long bend and again
turns towards the S. The fortress long continues visible.
R. Karlowitz, Hung. Karldcza, Slav. Karlovci (Trompeter; pop.
5550), 3/4 M. from the river, the seat of a Greek-Oriental patriarch,
is memorable for the peace of 26th Jan., 1699, by which Austria
acquired the greater part of Hungary and Transylvania. The chapel
of Mariafried (663 ft.), in the vineyards above the town, occupies the
site of the building in which the peace was concluded. The red wine
(see above) grown near Karlowitz and the 'Sliwowitz', or plum-
brandy, distilled here, are highly esteemed. The main arm of the Da¬
nube is confined between numerous islands.
R. Slankamen, where the Margrave Lewis of Baden defeated the
Turks in 1691. An obelisk, 52 ft. in height, commemorates the event.
L. Theisseck, at the influx of the Theiss (Hung. Tisza), is the
starting-point of the steamers on the Theiss to Titel and Szegedin
(see p. 376).
The hills on the right recede. In the distance appear the mina¬
rets and towers of Belgrade.