370 Route 69. MOHACS. The Danube from
L. Kis Harta and Ordas. — R. Paks (11,086 inhab.). Exten¬
sive marshes on both sides of the river.
L. Szt. Benedek. Numerous floating mills.
L. (3.25 a.m.) Kalocsa, near the village of Uszdd, station for the
town of Kalocsa (Konig von Ungarn), an archiepiscopal residence,
with a fine cathedral, 6 M. to the S.E. Branch-line to Kis Kbrbs,
see p. 380.
Lower down begin the windings of the river, the longest of which,
with the town of Tolna (p. 386), is cut off by means of a canal. To the
right, in the distance, rise the SzegszardMts., noted for their wine.
R. Dombori, station for Tolna; Gemencz, for Szegszdrd (p.386).
L. Baja'(Lamm; pop. 19,500), an important grain-market,
river-port of the corn-producing Bdcska (p. 368).
R. Bdta, where Roman antiquities have been found, and Duna
Szekcso, with a chateau and park, both prettily situated. To the left
begins the island of Mohdcs or Nagy Margitsziget, 25 M. in length.
R. (8.15 a.m.) Mohacs (Hotel Kretschmayer; cab into the town
40 kr.), a town with 14,400 inhab. and five churches, consisting
chiefly of thatched houses, is famed for the disastrous battle of 29th
Aug., 1526, which brought Hungary under the Turkish yoke. The
battle-field lies to the S.W. of the town. During the flight King
Lewis II. perished in a swamp near the village of Czecze. Almost
on the same field, on 12th Aug., 1687, Charles of Lorraine signally
defeated the Turks, and put an end to their hated supremacy. The
station of the Mohacs and Fiinfkirchen Railway (p. 382) is close to
the pier. The scenery continues unattractive.
R. Balina, with marble and alabaster-quarries, and relics of the
L. Bezdan, at the end of the Franzens or Bdcser Canal, which
connects the Danube and the Theiss (67 M. long, 65 ft. wide, 6i/2ft.
L. Apatin (Zum Schafer; 12,821 inhab.), in a flax-growing
district. The Rbmerschanze, an intrenchment 13 ft. high and 19 ft.
broad, extends hence to the Theiss.
R. (12.15 p.m.) Draueck, at the mouth of the Drau or Dratie, a
considerable river, on which lies Essegg (p. 368; 9 M.; local steam¬
boat in 1 hr.).
Below the influx of the Drave the left bank of the Danube con¬
tinues flat. The right bank (belonging to Slavonia) rises in low hills
clothed with vines and fruit-trees. R. Erdbd, with a ruined castle.
L. (1 p.m.) Gombos, a station on the Alfold Railway (p. 368).
R. Dalja, on the railway to Bosnisch-Brod (see p. 368).
R. Vukovar (Lowe; Hotel Central), capital of the Slavonic
district of Szerem, with 14,000 inhab., and a chateau of Count Eltz
lying prettily on a height. Vines and fruit-trees abound. The chain
of hills on the S. side of the Danube between this and Slankamen
is called Fruska-Gora (Roman Mons Almus). The well-known Karlo-