282 Route 48. CZERNOWITZ.
125i/2 M. Matyjowce. Beyond (133y2rM.) Zablotdw the train
crosses the Pruth, and near (143'/2 M.) Sniatyn-Zalucze recrosses
it; Sniatyn (10,920 inhab.) lies 3 M. off. 150l/2 M. Nepolokoutz;
156l/2 M. Isuzan. Nearing (163i/2 M.) Zuczka (branch to the W. to
Nowosielitza), we obtain, to the right, a fine view of Czernowitz,
with its domes and towers. The train crosses the Pruth again.
164 M. Czernowitz. —Hotels. "Adlee, Ring-Platz; "Central, Rath-
haus-Str. 6; "Kronprinz von Osterreich, Goldnes Lamm, both in the
Siebenbiirgergasse; Hotel Weiss, Ring-Platz, expensive; HStel de Mol-
davie, Lembergergasse. — Hotel de Paris, corner of Lembergergasse and
Ring-Platz; Goldne Birne, Siebenbiirgergasse, these two third-class.
Restaurants. At the three first-named hotels; Maier, Bischofsgasse,
next door to the Adler; in the Musikvereins-Gcbaude. Mehl-Platz; wine-
rooms of Tabacar and Paczenski, Ring-Platz (good Moldavian wine and
cold viands). — Cafes. De I'Europe, Herrngasse; Wilckens, Herrngasse
(casino or club on first floor; stransiers maybe introduced); Wien, Lem¬
bergergasse; Bass (also restaurant), Zakrewski, Siebenbiirgergasse; Cafi du
Thidtre, by the Hotel de Moldavie; Tesarz (confectioner), Ring-Platz.
Baths. Warm and vapour, at the Sophienbad, Russische Gasse, and
the Tiirkenbad, by the Turkenbrunnen. The Town Baths in the Volks¬
garten are open in summer only. River Baths in the Pruth, by the bridge.
Czernowitz, the capital of the Bukowina, is situated on a rising
ground on the right bank of the Pruth, which is crossed here by
two bridges. Pop., including the suburbs, 54,040 (about 16,000
Jews). The town, which is entirely modern, is the seat of the
governor of the Bukowina, of a Greek Oriental archbishop and con¬
sistory, of the provincial courts, and of a university (see below).
The most conspicuous building is the Archiepiscopal Palace, on
a height at the end of the Bischofsgasse, an imposing brick edifice
in the Byzantine style, erected by Hlawka in 1864-75. The
richly-decorated "Reception Hall is worthy of a visit (apply to the
castellan); the tower commands a fine view of the town and environs.
The largest church in Czernowitz is the Greek Oriental Cathe¬
dral in the Franz-Josefs-Platz, erected in 1864 in imitation of the
church of St. Isaac at St. Petersburg. The tasteful Armenian Church,
in a mixed Gothic and Renaissance style, was consecrated in 1875.
The handsome "Jewish Temple, in the Moorish style, with its con¬
spicuous dome, was completed in 1877 from the plans of Zacharie-
wicz, and is tastefully decorated in the interior.
The University, founded in 1875, is attended by about 250 stud¬
ents. It has no medical faculty. The lectures are delivered partly
in the Piidagogium in the Bischofsgasse, partly in the clergy-house
adjoining the palace; the latter also contains the natural history
and other collections.
The Austria Monument in the Austria-Platz, executed by Pe-
kary, and erected in 1875 to commemorate the centenary of Au¬
stria's possession of the Bukowina, consists of a martle figure of
Austria on a pedestal of green Carpathian sandstone, adorned
with bronze reliefs and inscriptions. — The new Theatre, in the
Schulgasse, is tastefully fitted up (closed in summer).