to Czernowitz. LEMBERG. 48. Route. 281
The University (about 1000 stud.), founded in 1784 by Emp.
Joseph II., was dissolved in 1805 owing to'the acquisition of the
Cracow university by Austria, but reopened in 1816. During the
bombardment of the town in 1848 the university building was burned
down, and its library and collections almost entirely destroyed, after
which it was removed to its present quarters in the Akademie-
Strasse. The collections and the library have since been replaced.
Ossolinski's National Institute, in the Ossolinski-Gasse, contains
collections relating chiefly to the literature and history of Poland,
including portraits, antiquities, coins, and a library, and possesses
a printing-office of its own. — The Dzieduszycki Museum of Ga-
lician antiquities and products is always open to visitors.
From Lemberg to Stryj, 48 M., railway in 2 hrs. (fares 2fl. 40, 1 fl.
60, 80 kr.). Passing Glinna-Nawarya and the sulphur-baths of Puslomty,
we run through the pretty Szczerek Valley to (17 M.) Szczirzec (with large
quarries of gypsum) and (28 M.) Mikolajdw -Drohowyie, and cross the
Dniester. Then through a wooded tract to (37 M.) Bilcze- Wolica and (48 M.)
Stryj (p. 283), junction of the Chyrow-Stanislau (p. 283) and fcawoczne-
Munkacs lines (p. 360).
From Lemberg to Odessa, 459 M., railway in 27 hrs. 31 M. Krasne,
junction for Brody, RadziwiUw (Russian frontier). and Kiev. 87 M. Tar-
nopol (26,100 inhab.); 119 M. Podwoloczyska, the last station in Austria,
opposite which, on the left bank of the Podhorce, is Woloczyska ("Rail.
Restaurant), the first Russian station. Thence via Shmerinka (junction for
Kasatin-Brest and Kiev), Birsula (junction for Charkow and Moscow), and
Rasdelnaja (junction for Bender, Jassy, and Roman) to (459 M.) Odessa.
The Railway from Lemberg to Czernowitz at first traverses
a lofty and monotonous plain, intersected with deep valleys. 7 M.
Siechdw; 15y2 M. Staresioio; on the right, a half-ruined castle of
Count Potocki, erected in the middle ages as a protection against
the Tartars, and partly converted into a brewery; 22i/2M. Bdbrka-
Chlebowice; 27l/2 M. Wybrandwka; 32 M. Borynicze; 40M. Chodordw,
inhabited by Jews; 44i/2 M. Bortniki; 48y2 M. Nowosielce; 55 M.
Bukaczowce (Rail. Restaurant); 62 M. Bursztyn, with a chateau of
Prince Jablonowski. — 69'/2M. Halicz (Rail. Restaurant); the town
is prettily situated on the right bank of the Dniester, 2y2 M. to the
W., and is commanded by a ruined castle.
The long range of the Carpathians now becomes visible in the
distance to the right. The train crosses the Dniester, and near
(78 M.) Jezupol approaches the Bystrica.
87 M. Stanislau (Goldner Adler; restaurants Ganz and Fischer;
"Rail. Restaurant; pop. 22,230), a busy trading town, junction of
lines, to the E., to Husiatyn, to the W., to Stryj, ChyTOw, and Bielitz
(R. 49), has been handsomely rebuilt since a great fire in 1868.
94 M. Markowce; 1011/2 M. Ottynia; 112 M. Korszdw. On the
right the Czema-Hora (6749 ft.) and other peaks of the Carpathians
now come nearer. — 122 M. Kolomea (Rail. Restaurant; Hotel
Angelski, in the chief square; pop. 29,838), a town on the Pruth; to
the right, near the railway, is the pleasant German suburb, with a
Protestant church. Branch-line to the W. to Sioboda Rungurska.