280 Route 48. LEMBERG. From Cracow
which the train now follows. A branch-line runs hence to the N.E.
via Rawaruska to Sokal and Belzec.
139 M. Radymno; 148 M. Zurawica. — 152 M. Przemysl (Hotel
Prz:mysl; Hdtel de I'Europe; Rail. Restaurant; pop. 36,250), an an¬
cient town on the San, the seat of a Roman Catholic and a Greek
bishop, with six churches and a brisk trade, has recently been
fortified. A hill near it is crowned with the ruins of a castle said
to have been built by Casimir the Great.
From Przemysl to Chyr6w, 221/2M., railway in 1 hr. 20min. via Nizan-
kowice and Dobromil. From Chyrdw to Stryj, see p. 283.
1591/2 M. Medyka; 169 M. Mosciska ; lib M. Chorosnica; 181 M.
Sqdowa- Wisznia; 192i/2M. Grddek (Rail. Restaurant), with 10,717
inhab., between two lakes; 195l/2 M. Kameniobrod; 202i/2 M.
Mszana; 207 M. Zimnawoda-Rudno.
212 M. Lemberg. — Grand Hotel ; Hot. Imperial ; Hotel de France ;
Hot. George; Hot. Lang; Hot. d'Angleteree; Hot. de l'Europe; H3t.
de Varsovie. — "Restaurant Stadtmiiller, by the Dominican church; Theatre
Cafi, Ferdinands-Platz; Vienna Cafi, Heilige-Geist-Platz; German Casino,
Heilige-Geist-Platz, strangers admitted. — Rail. Restaurant.
Lemberg, Polish Lwdw, French Leopol, the capital of Galicia,
with 127,638 inhab. (upwards of 21,000 Jews), is the seat of a
Roman Catholic, an Armenian, and a United Greek archbishop.
There are fourteen Roman Catholic churches, a Greek, an Armen¬
ian, and a Protestant church, two synagogues, and several Roman
Catholic and Greek convents. The town itself is small, the finest
buildings being in the four suburbs (those of Halicz, Lyczakow,
Cracow, and Zolkiew). The Rathhaus, with its tower 260 ft. high,
built in 1828-37, stands in the Ring, or principal Platz, which
is embellished with four handsome monumental fountains. It con¬
tains an Industrial Museum. — The Roman Catholic Cathedral has a
late-Gothic interior, adorned with good frescoes. The Armenian
Cathedral is in the Armenian-Byzantine style (15th cent.); in front
of it rises a statue of St. Christopher. The Dominican Church con¬
tains the monument of a Countess Dunin-Borkowska by Thorwaldsen.
The United Greek Cathedral, in the basilica style, stands on a height
in the Georgs-Platz.
The handsome Polytechnic Institution, in the Georgs-Platz,
completed in 1877, contains a large chemical-technical laboratory
and is otherwise well equipped. Among other institutions worthy
of mention are the Natural History Collections in the University
(Akademie-Str.), with the contiguous Botanic Garden and the
School of Forestry (with good collections); the Hospital, with large
cliniques; and the Lunatic Asylum in the Kulparkow suburb. In
the Slowacki-Str., opposite the Parfe, is the large new Hall of the
Estates. In the Kleparowska-Gasse rises the fine Invalidenhaus, with
its four towers. — At the Theatre (closed in summer), in the Skar-
bek-Str., Polish plays and Polish-Italian operas are performed
(the solos being generally sung in Italian, the chorus in Polish).