TARNOW. 48. Route. 279
Sat. at 3 p.m.; if one of these days is a holiday, then on the following
day. At other times visitors drive direct to the office and request per¬
mission to inspect the mine. Tickets of admission are obtained at the
office, 2 fl. for each person. The charges fixed by tariff for illumination
vary from 20 to 60 or 70 fl., according to the amount desired and the
number of persons. Visitors don mining attire (10 kr.) and follow the
attendant. The inspection of the mines takes 2 hrs.; carriages may be
ordered to wait at the shaft. Visitors leave the mine by the lift or cage,
for which each person pays 30 kr. more. Specimens of the rock-salt, from
iO kr. each, are offered to visitors on quitting the mine.
These mines, the greatest depth of which is 919 ft., employ over 700
hands and yield about 60,000 tons of salt annually. They consist of seven
different levels or stories, one above the other, and have eleven shafts.
Total length of the mines, from E. to W., 2i/3 M.; breadth, from N. to S.,
1040 yds. The different stories are connected by a labyrinth of passages and
flights of steps, and occasionally by lofty bridges, the aggregate length of
which is computed at 380 M. The mines contain sixteen ponds, several of
which have boats upon them. Many of the disused chambers, 70 of which
are spacious, are employed as magazines, and some of them are embel¬
lished with candelabra, etc., hewn in rock-salt, beautiful when properly il¬
luminated. There are also two chapels, which were partially destroyed
by an inundation in 1868, with altars, statues, and other ornaments in rock-
salt. In the larger of these mass is celebrated annually on 3rd July, after
which a breakfast is given. Some of these subterranean saloons are 80-100 ft.
in height. The salt of Wieliczka is remarkable for its purity and solidity,
but is generally gray or blackish in colour. Travelling in the interior is
done by horse-tramways, 25 M. in total length, while seven steam-engines
bring the salt and the miners to the surface.
Excursionists to the Tatra take the Galician Railway from Cracow
(Podg6rze) by Sucha to Chabdwka (p. 281), and drive thence by Neumarkt
to Zakopane, Javorina, and Tatra Hohlenhain (p. 356; railways proposed).
48. From Cracow to Lemberg and Czernowitz.
Railway to Lemberg, 212 M., in 71/2-IO hrs. (fares 10 fl. 71, 7 fl. 14, 3 fl.
57 kr.; express 16 fl., 10 fl. 71, 5fl. 36 kr.); from Lemberg to Czernowitz,
164 M., in 6i/2-83/4 hrs. (fares 9 fl. 18, 6 fl. 12, 3 fl. 6 kr.; express 13 fl. 75,
9 fl. 18, 4 fl. 59 kr.).
Cracow, see p. 274. The train crosses the Vistula, and passes
Podgdrze-Plaszdw (p. 278) and the Krakusberg on the right. 5'/2 M.
Bierzandw (branch to Wieliczka, see p. 278). 12 M. Podteie; 18 M.
Ktaj. 23y2 M. Bochnia (pop. 8703), with extensive salt-mines con¬
nected with those of Wieliczka (see above). 3iy2 M. Siotwina; 38 M.
Biadoliny; 43 '/2 M. Bogumiiowice. — 481/2 M. Tarnow (Hotel
Krakau; pop. 27,575), capital of a district, and junction of the line
to Strdze (p. 284; 36 M7, in l3/4 hr.), lies on the Dunajec, near its
confluence with the Biala. Interesting old town-hall. The cathedral
contains monuments of the Ostrogski and Tarnowski families.
61l/2 M. Czarna; 69 M. Dembica (Rail. Restaurant), with a
chateau of Prince Radziwill (branch to Rozwaddw and Nadbrzezie);
77 M. Ropczyce; 82 M. Sedziszdw; 89 M. Trzciana; 98 M. Rzeszdw
(Rail. Restaurant; pop. 11,953), with an old chateau ; 108 M. Lahcut
(pop. 4483), with chateau and park of Count Potocki; 121 M. Prze-
worsk, with chateau and park of Prince Lubomirski. — 130 M.
Jaroslau (Rail. Restaurant; "Hotel Victoria; Schwarzer Adler; pop.
17,920), on the San, an affluent of the Vistula, the left bank of