278 Route 47. CRACOW.
and saints; 157. Verrocchio (?), Holy Family; 176. Mantegna (?), Daughter of
Herodias ; no numbers, "Raphael, Portrait of a young man (said to be him¬
self; unfinished, about 1510); "Leonardo da Vinci (?), Half-length of a girl with
an ermine in her arms ('Castitas'); 190. Giorgione (?), St. Liberalis; 194. Palma
Vecchio (?), Holy Family; 234. Franc. Francia (<), Madonna. — Room II
contains numerous good miniature portraits, chiefly of the French school.
Also: 263. Matejko, Scene from the Polish insurrection of 1863. — The
following rooms contain Egyptian antiquities, ancient glas", "Terracotta
figures from Tanagra, Greek vases, Greek and Etruscan bronzes (No. 1, line
Etruscan situla); silver mirror-case (Hercules and Omphale), of the best
Greek period; cabinets; tapestry, etc.
In the Promenades, farther to the N.E., are the Florians-Thor (PL
B, 2) and the Rondell, a singular structure dating from 1498,
almost the only relic of the old fortifications. Outside the Rondell,
in the Matejko-Platz, in the suburb of Kleparz, is the Academy of
Art. Farther on is the Church of St. Florian (PL C, 2), of the
12th cent., but repeatedly altered since, with four pictures by Hans
von Kulmbach. A chapel to the right contains the late-Gothic *Altar
of St. John, from the studio of Veit Stoss. — At the corner of the
Spital-Gasse is the New Theatre (PL C, 3), erected in 1891-93
from Znwiejski's designs in the late-Renaissance style, tastefully
fitted up, with a magnificent drop-curtain by H. tSieniiradzki (1894).
The town is surrounded with Suburbs, lying within the mod¬
ern fortifications. To the S.W. is Stradom, with the offices of the
commandant; on the W. is Nowy Swiat; on the N.W. Piasek, with
the old church of the Visitation; on the N. Kleparz, with the grain
and cattle markets, the Academy of Art, and St. Florian's Church
(see above); on the E. Wesoia, with the hospitals of St. Lazarus and
St. Lewis, the University C'linique and Botanic Garden (PL D, 3;
adm. daily except Sun. and Sat.), the Observatory (PI. D, 3), and
the slaughter-house; to the S.E. is Kasimierz, the Jewish quarter,
containing the Pauline convent and the churches of St. Michael, St.
Catharine, Corpus Christi, and the Trinity. The Franz-Josefs-
Briicke leads hence across the Vistula to Podgdrze. To the S. rises
the conical Krakusberg (905 ft.; with trigonometrical signal), said by
tradition to be the grave of the mythical dragon-slayer Krakus, the
founder of Cracow, and to have been thrown up by human hands.
The *Kosciuszko Hill (1093 ft.), 3 M. to the N.W. (carr. iy2 fl.,
bargain necessary), is a mound of earth, about 65ft. in height, thrown
up in 1820-23 by the united efforts of the whole population of Cracow
in honour of the Polish hero of that name, on the hill of Bronis-
lawa. Since 1855 it has been converted into a fort. *View of Cra¬
cow, with its many towers, and Podgorze, with the Krakusberg beyond
it; S. the Hohe Tatra, seldom free from snow; W. the Babiag6ra
(5660 ft.) and its neighbours of the Beskid range ; then the Vistula,
traceable for a long distance; N. the handsome marble buildings of
the Camaldulensian monastery of Bielany.
"Salt Mines of Wieliczka. Railway via Bierzandw in 38 min. (or plea-
santer by carriage, 5-8 fl.; p. 274) to Wieliczka (833 ft.; several inns; pop.
0000). Visitors are regularly admitted to the mines on Tues., Thurs., and