276 Route 47. CRACOW. St. Mary's.
the palace, and used by the Polish monarchs as an oratory, with a throne
of red marble and fine modern stained-glass windows. Monument of King
Stephen Bathory (d. 1586), in red marble. Farther on are the tombs of
Bishops Gamrat (1547) and Tomicki (1535), by Giov. Maria, surnamed Mosca,
of Padua, the architect of the bishops' palace. — Choir. In front of the
high-altar is the engraved bronze of Cardinal Fred. Jagiello (d. 1503),
with a later "Relief (1510) by Peter Vischer (?), representing the presentation
of the bishop to the Madonna. — In the centre of the church, under a
canopy, is a silver sarcophagus, borne by silver angels, in which are pre¬
served the remains of St. Stanislaus, the patron-saint of the Poles, and
Bishop of Cracow, who was slain before the altar in 1079 by King Boles-
law. — In the Left Aisle, near the choir, is the tomb of the poet A.
Mickiewicz (see below). — At the beginning of the Right Aisle is a cop¬
per trap-door, leading to the Romanesque crypt (p. 275) and to the Royal
Vault, constructed by Stanislaus Augustus in 1788, enlarged since 1873,
where, beside many Polish kings, repose Poland's three most illustrious
heroes: John Sobieski (d. 1696), Poniatowski (drowned in the Elster near
Leipsic in 1813), and Kosciuszko (who died in exile at Soleure in 1817).
A fourth sarcophagus contains the remains of King Ladislaw IV. and his
queen. Adm. daily, except Sun., at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. (20 kr.). — The
Treasury (Mon., Wed., Frid. at 10; also on festivals) contains part of the
ancient Polish regalia, rich sacerdotal vestments, and artistically-wrought
vessels in gold and silver. (German catalogue 10 kr.)
*St. Mary's (PL B, 3), in the Ring-Platz, is a Gothic basilica
without transept, and with a long choir. Founded in 1226, rebuilt
in the 14th cent., and provided with a series of chapels in the 15th
and 16th cent., it was restored in 1889-93 and richly painted from
designs by Matejko (d. 1893). The N. tower, with a modern cap sur¬
rounded by eight pointed turrets, is the highest (265 ft.) in the town.
In the Interior, which we enter through a Renaissance vestibule, the
chief object of interest is the huge "High-Altar, the masterpiece of Veit
Sloss, executed in 1477-1489, recently well restored, with rich painting and
gilding. It is adorned in the middle with a Death of the Virgin, above
which are the Assumption and the Coronation of the Virgin; on the sides
are 18 large reliefs from the Life of Christ. At the entrance of the church
is the "Bronze of Pater Salomo (d. 1506) by Peter Vischer; at the entrance
to the choir is an altar by Mosca, next which is a colossal "Crucifix of the
early 16th century.
The large building nearly opposite, in the centre of the Ring-Platz,
is the Tuchhaus (Pol. Sukiennice; PL B, 3), or cloth-hall, begun in
the 14th cent, under Casimir the Great, altered by Mosca of Padua
in the 16th cent., and largely rebuilt in 1876-79. On the ground-
floor is a vaulted corridor with numerous shops and stalls.
On the first floor (entrance opposite the Mickiewicz Monument, see
below), to the left, is the Polish National Museum ok Art (daily, 11-3;
20 kr.), with pictures by Matejko (Kosciusko at Raclawice in 1794, and
Homage done to Albert of Brandenburg in 1625), "Siemiradzki ('Living
Torches of Nero'), and other modern Polish artists; paintings by Polish
and Ruthenian artists of the 16-17th cent.; casts; cameos and gems; en¬
gravings and drawings (shown on Sat. only); memorials of Kosciuszko,
Mickiewicz, etc. — To the right is the Permanent Picture Gallery (daily,
11-4; 30 kr.): "Matejko, Battle of Grun wald, 1410; The Maid of Orleans enter¬
ing Rheims, 1429; other modern pictures and sculptures by Polish masters.
In front of the Tuchhaus, opposite the Siennagasse, is a bronze
Statue of Adam Mickiewicz (1798-1855), the poet, by Rieger (1894).
Behind are a Gothic tower of the 15th cent., the only relic of a town-
hall taken down in 1820, and the principal (iuard-Ilouse.