268 Route 45. KONIGINHOF. From Pardubitz
fought on 3rd July, 1866, between tbe Austrians and Prussians, in which
the former were totally defeated. The Austrian forces commanded by
Benedek occupied a strong defensive position on the ground rising gradually
from the Bistritz, from which it was the object of the Prussians to dis¬
lodge them. The high road from Kbniggratz to Hofitz (and Jicin) passes
nearly through the centre of this position, leading via, Wsestar and Ros-
berilz to (6M.) Lipa (7i hr. to the right of which lies Chlum, the highest
point in this region, where Benedek was posted during the battle), and
crossing the Bistritz at Sadowa, li/2 M. farther on. The battle began early,
and at midday was still undecided. The Prussians maintained with great
tenacity the small wood of Sadowa and the Swiebwald on the hill to the
N.E., but could not advance farther in the face of the strong and favour¬
ably-placed artillery of the Austrians. The fortune of the day was at last
decided by the capture of Chlum by the Prussian guards. The Austrians
were unable to resist the simultaneous advance of the whole Prussian
army, and began a retreat, which at places degenerated into a wild rout.
Numerous Prussian, Austrian, and Saxon monuments have been erected
in different parts of the battle-field.
The country now becomes more fertile. Stations Predmefitz,
Smifitz. 25 M. Josefstadt (840 ft.; Wessely's Hotel), a fortress on
the left bank of the Elbe, % M. from the railway.
From Josefstadt to Liebau, 41 M., railway in 23/4 hrs. This line
passes through several valleys famous since tbe war of 1866. Stations un¬
important. From Starkotsch a branch-line diverges to Wenzelsberg (p. 266)
and from Parschnitz another to Alt-Paka (see below). Prussia is entered
at Kbnigshain (junction for Schatzlar). From Liebau to Breslau, etc., see
Baedeker's Northern Germany.
Farther on, we observe the small town of Jaromef to the right,
beyond the Elbe. The train passes through several cuttings and
enters tbe grassy valley of the Elbe. The background is formed by
dark forests, enlivened with chateaux. To the E. and N., in the
distance, rise the Glatz and Giant Mts. — 30 M. Kukus.
34i/2 M. Koniginhof (1120 ft.; Tinus); the town (8635 inhab.)
lies iy2 M. off, on the left bank of the Elbe. The 'Koniginhof
Manuscript', found here in 1817 by W. Hanka, contains fragments
of old Czechish national songs, but its genuineness is disputed.
The Zaboj Monument in the market-place commemorates the dis¬
covery. The Ziskaberg, to the E. of the town, recalls the siege of
the town by the Hussites in 1421.
The line enters a wooded region. 38y2 M. Tfemesna ; 42'/2 M.
Mastig, with baths, 1 hr. to the S. of which rises the Swiein (2211 ft.;
view of the Giant Mts.). Between Mastig and (49 M.) Falgendorf
(1650 ft.; Rail. Restaurant, with rooms), the line reaches its cul¬
minating point, on the plateau of Borowitz (1707 ft.). A good view
of the Schneekoppe and other peaks of the Giant Mts. is obtained
from the station of Falgendorf. The road hence to the small town
and ruined castle of Pecka, 4'/2 M. to the S., leads by the village
of Slupna, near which is a petrified forest, interesting to geologists.
The train enters the narrow Woleschka-Thal. — 53>/2 M. Alt-
Paka (1365 ft.; Rail. Restaurant).
To Parschnitz, 37 M., railway in l3/4 hr. Stations: Kruh; Starkenbach,
an industrial town, with a Schloss that once belonged to Wallenstein;
Pelsdorf (junction for Hohenelbe, prettily situated on the Elbe, at the
foot of the spurs of the Giant Jits.); Arnau; Kottwitz; IHlnikau. — 34 M.