to Breslau. WECKELSDORF. 44. Route. 267
monument. —109 M. Nachod (Rail. Restaurant; Lamm), a town of
3371 inhab., belongs to the Prince of Lippe-Schaumburg. The Rath¬
haus contains a small museum; and the high-lying chateau has a
collection of historical paintings. The Prussians under Steinmetz
defeated the Austrians twice near Nachod (June 27th and 28th,
1866); the battle-field is marked by monuments. — We now tra¬
verse the smiling Mettau-Thal. To the right is the small bath of
Bielowes. 113!/2 M. Hronow, a quaint little town on the Mettau,
116i/2 M. Potitz, 2i/4M. from the little town of Politz (Griiner
Baum), picturesquely situated at the foot of the Falken-Gebirge;
120i/2M. Matha-Mohren.—123M. WeckelsAoxf("Rail. Restaurant),
II/4 M. from the town of that name (Freischiitz Inn).
About I1/4 M. to the N.W. of Weekelsdorf (omnibus) lies the "Weckels-
dorfer Felsenstadt (Eisenhammer; Felsensladt), a remarkable chaos of
curiously shaped and fissured limestone rocks, well worth a visit. It is
adjoined on the W. by the similar "Adersbacher Felsen (Felsenstadt). For
description, see Baedeker's Northern Germany.
125 M. Bodisch. — 128 M. Halbstadt ("Rail. Restaurant) is the
last Austrian station (luggage examined).
To Braunau, 51/2 M., railway in about 40 minutes.—31/2 M. Hermsdorf-
Ahlberg. — 51/2 M. Braunau ("Traube; "Zu Oesterreichs Adler; "Jarosch), a
town of 5800 inhab., has an imposing Benedictine abbey. Excursions to
the Stern, Heuscheuer, etc., see Baedeker's Northern Germany.
Beyond Halbstadt the Prussian frontier is crossed. 131'/2 M.
Schlesisch-Friedland, 3>/2 M. to the N.E. of which is the health-resort
of Gbrbersdorf; 138 M. Fellhammer. — 146 M. Salzbrunn (Preussi-
sche Krone; Elisenhof; Sonne; Curhaus), stretching for some distance
in the valley of the Salzbach, has mineral springs, visited yearly
by about 3000 patients. — 149 M. Sorgau. — 154 M. Freiburg
(Schwarzer Adler; Burg), a weaving town of importance (8400 inhab.).
About 2y4 M. distant is Prince Pless's chateau of "Fiirstenstein. —
159i/2 M. Kbnigszelt.
190 M. Breslau, see Baedeker's Northern Germany.
45. From Pardubitz to Zittau.
117 M. Railway in 61/2 hrs.
Pardubitz, see p. 258. Soon after leaving the station the train
crosses the Elbe, navigable here for rafts only. The country is flat,
monotonous, and thinly peopled. Stations: Rossitz(with the ruin of
Kunetitz on the right, p. 259), Steblowa, Opatowitz.
I41/2 M. Kbniggratz (801 ft.; "Goldnes Lamm; Ross; Rail.
Restaurant; pop. 7816), a manufacturing town, I1/2 M. to the E.
of the station (omn. 20 kr.), at the confluence of the Elbe and the
Adler. The Gothic cathedral of the Holy Ghost, founded in 1302,
contains a fine ciborium of 1492. The musical instrument factory
of Cerveny fy Sbhne is one of the largest in Europe. Branch-line to
Wostrom&r (p. 265).
The hilly ground to the N.W. of Koniggriitz, between the Bistritz and
the Elbe, is memorable as the scene of the Battle of Kbniggratz or Sadowa,