266 Route 44. MITTELWALDE. From Prague
woods above the line to the left, is the ruin of Lititz. — 107i/2 M.
Senftenberg (1380 ft.; Herrenhaus); the town (3700 inhab.), with a
chateau of Baron Parish, lies li/4 M. to the N. — From (111 M.)
Geiersberg (120.7)ft.; Rail. Restaurant) a branch-line runs to theS. to
(81/. M.) Wildenschwert (p. 259). About 3 M. to the W. lies the ruin
of Schambach, with fine view. The line follows the rocky valley of
the Stille Adler. 117 M. Gabel. —124 M. Wichstadtl-Lichtenau is
the last Austrian station (luggage examined).
To Olmutz, 7272 M., railway in 51/4 hrs. — 3 M. Grulich (1870 ft.).
The Marienberg (fine views), to the E., is the seat of a Servite monastery
with a pilgrimage-church. — The next stations are Grumberg, Hannsdorf
(junction for Freiwaldau, Ziegenhals, and Neisse, p. 272), Bbhmisch-Marzdorf,
Eisenberg, on the March, and Blauda (branch to Hohenstadt, p. 259). —
351/2 M. Mahrisch-Schonberg (1085 ft.; Restaurant near the station) is an
important linen and silk manufacturing town with 10,100 inhab. (branch
to Zbptau, 61/2 M.). — Frankstadt; Deutsch-Libau; Treublitz; Mahrisch-Neu-
stadt. — 64 M. Sternberg (Rail. Restaurant), a finely situated town with
15,332 inhab., is one of the centres of the Moravian cotton and linen manu¬
facture. — 7272 M. Olmutz, see p. 270.
After crossing the watershed between the Elbe and the Oder the
train descends to (129!/2 M.) Mittelwalde (Rail. Restaurant; Stern),
where the train passes into the control of the German railway com¬
pany. — 136i/2 M. Langenau is the station for the prettily situated
Bad Langenau (Curhaus; Annahof), with chalybeate and mud-
baths. — 140 M. Habelschwerdt (*Drei Karpfen), with 5600 inhab.,
situated in a pretty district, on the Neisse. — 147 M. Rengersdorf.
— 152'/2 M. Glatz (Stadt Rom; Weisses Lamm), a fortified town
(13,300 inhab.) on the Neisse. The tower of the old fort commands
a pretty view.
15972 M. Wartha (Lowe), with a frequented pilgrimage-church
on the Warthberg. — 166 M. Camenz (Adler). The magnificent
Chateau of Camenz on the adjacent Hartaberg belongs to Prince
Albert of Prussia.
2IO1/2 M. Breslau, see Baedeker's Northern Germany.
b. Via Halbstadt.
190 M. Railway in 9 hrs. (fares 28, 21, 14 fl.).
From Prague to (87 M.) Tinischt, see p. 265. Our line at first
runs parallel with the preceding, but crosses it at Petrowitz. — 91 M.
Bolehosi. On a hill to the left is the village of Hoch-Aujezd, with a
12th cent, church. — 96 M. Opocno (Stadt Prag), with 2200 inhab.,
and a magnificent chateau and park of Count Colloredo (beautiful
view from the terrace; in the distance, to the right, the Hohe Mense,
3550 ft.). —100 M. Bohuslawitz. 102 M. Neustadt (Rydel; Wondracek),
an old-fashioned town, picturesquely situated 1 M. to the E. of the
station, on a mountain-spur washed by the Mettau. About I1/4 M. to
the E. is the little chalybeate bath of Racek, with pretty woodland
walks. — To the left, as we proceed, lies the plain of Skalitz, known
from the war of 1866. — 105 M. Wenzelsberg (branch to Starkotsch,
p. 268). Close to the station is the Wenzels-Kapelle, with a military