204 Route 43.
b. Via Gmund.
2171/2 M. Railway (Oeslerfeicher Slaals-Bahn) in 71/2-II1/2 hrs. (fares 10 fl.
50, 7 fl., 3 fl. GO kr.; express 15 (1. 75, 10 fl. 50, 5 fl. 25 kr.). — There are
no through-carriages between Dresden and Vienna by this route, and the
connection at Prague cannot always be calculated upon.
Franz- Josef-Bahnhof, see p. 218. A long tunnel carries the train
into the Botitsch-Thal. 2 M. Nusle-Wrschowitz (branch to Modfan
and loop-line to Smichow, p. 230). 6 M. Hostiwaf, where the old
church contains a Madonna said to date from 1374. — 9M. Qufino-
wes ; 13 M. Rican; 171/2 M. Mnichowitz-Stranschitz; 26 M. Cercan-
Pisely, where the Sazawa is crossed. 32 M. Beneschau, a small town
with a Gothic church of the 13th and 14th centuries.
35l/2 M. Bistfitz; 41i/2M. Wottitz, with a chateau and a Fran¬
ciscan convent; 46i/2M. Klein-Hefmanitz,■ 52l/2M. Stupcic; 56i/2M.
65 M. Tabor (1477 ft. ; Traube; Rail. Restaurant), with 7400
inhab., once a stronghold of the Hussites, stands on a bold em¬
inence between the Luschnitz and the Jordanteich. Tbe walls
erected by Ziska are still partly preserved. Late-Gothic Rathhaus,
finished in 1521, with the city-arms in tufa (1515), in a frame¬
work which includes statuettes of Ziska, Procopius, Huss, and
Jerome of Prague, and a group of Adamites. The Decanalkirche,
of 1516, contains an interesting zinc font (1472). In front of a
house with rich Renaissance ornamentation, in the Ring, is one of
the stone tables at which tbe Taborites used to partake of the
Communion in both kinds in the open air. The Municipal Museum
contains many local antiquities, chiefly of the Hussite period. On
the E. side of the town, outside the Bechiner Thor, is the pictur¬
esque ruined castle of Kotnow. — Railway from Tabor to Razice and
Iglau, see p. 252 and below.
The line follows the right bank of the Luschnitz. 69i/2 M. Plan,
Bohem. Plana. 77 M. Sobeslau, with 4000 inhab., has a late-Gothic
church of the 15th cent., and an old castle, with a slender octagonal
tower, now a dwelling-house.
81 M. Wesely (Rail. Restaxirant), junction for Budweis (p. 252).
From Wesely to Iglau, 58 M., railway in 3-4 hrs. Chief stations:
1672 M. Neuhaus (Adler; Dvorak), a busy town of 9000 inhab., with a
chateau of Count Czernin (containing valuable archives, a collection of
pictures, and fine old furniture), a Gothic church of the 13th cent., and
the loftily situated burial-church of the counts. 35 M. Ihlawka, station
for St. Katharinabad, with its alkaline springs. 40 M. Ober-Cerekve, whence
a branch-line runs to Pilgram (Martinec), .1 town of 4000 inhab. (2 hrs. to
the E. of which lies Kfemesnik, 2516 ft., with its pilgrimage-church), and to
(311/2 M.) Tabor (see above). 49 M. Wolframs; 58 M. Iglau (p. 256).
89 M. Lomnitz; 94','2 M. Wittingau, a town with 5398 inhab.,
with a chateau of the 15th cent, and a Gothic church of the 14th
(fine cloisters). Large ponds in the vicinity, where carp are reared.
Stations: Chlumetz, Stirhcnthal, and (115i/2M.) Gmiind, junction
for Vienna, see p. 253.