to Vienna. LUNDENBURG. 43. Route. 263
Beyond Briinn, on the 'Nordbabn', stations Ober-Gerspitz, Mb-
dritz, and (164*/2 M.) Raigem, with a Benedictine abbey founded
in 1048. It was here in 1805 that Napoleon posted his reserve under
Davoust, which after the battle of Austerlitz proved so destructive
to the retreating Austrians. — 168l/2M. Rohrbach-Seelowitz; II/4M.
to the E. lies Gross - Seelowitz, with large sugar-refineries. At
(173 M.) Branowitz the Schwarzawa is crossed; on the right the
Polau Mts. with a ruin. From (181 M.) Auspitz a branch diverges
in 20 min. to (4i/2 M.) the town of that name. 183 M. Saitz; on the
right rises the oriental belvedere in the park of Prince Liechtenstein,
200 ft. high. 188i/2 M. Kostel, with the oldest church in Moravia.
—196 M. Lundenburg (Rail. Restaurant, poor), junction for Olmutz
and Oderberg (R. 46).
Carriage from the station in 1 hr. (2 fl.) to "Eisgruh, an estate of Prince
Liechtenstein, with a large Schloss. The vast park, over 100 square miles
in area, contains two towns, several villages, picturesque lakes, and various
single buildings, including the 'Grenzhalle' on the boundary between
Austria and Moravia, the magnificently decorated oriental belvedere, the
Chinese pavilion, etc.
From Lundenburg to Zellerndorf, 521/2 M., railway in 5 hrs. Sta¬
tions : Feldsberg, with a chateau and park of Prince Liechtenstein; Nikols-
burg, with a chateau of Prince Mensdorff, where peace between the Austrians
and Prussians was concluded on 26th July, 1866; Neusiedl-Durnholz, whence
a branch-line runs to (51/2 M.) Grussbach (p. 262); Laa (p. 262), where we
cross the Vienna and Briinn line; Pernhofen-Wulzeshofen; Kadolz-Mailberg;
Haugsdorf; and Zellerndorf (p. 257).
The line intersects part of the park, and crosses the Thaya, the
boundary between Moravia and Austria. Country flat and fertile ;
maize abounds. On the right rises the isolated Raistenberg (955 ft.),
at the foot of which lies the town of Feldsberg. In the Marchfeld,
beyond (207 M.) Hohenau, Ottocar of Bohemia routed the Hungarians
in 1260, and in 1278 was himself defeated and slain by Rudolph of
Hapsburg. 210'/2 M. Drbsing (Rail. Restaurant; branch to Zisters-
dorf, 71/2 M.); 216l/2 M. Diirnkrut. The hills to the E. are the
Little Carpathians. Between Diirnkrut and Angern the line ap¬
proaches the March, the boundary between Austria and Hungary.
At (228 M.) Ganserndorf (Rail. Restaurant) the line to Pressburg
diverges to the E. (p. 315). Near (237 M.) Wagram a bloody battle was
fought between the French and the Austrians in 1809, ending with
the retreat of the latter to Znaim. To the right the Leopoldsberg
with its castle, then the Kahlenberg (p. 74) become visible. 244 M.
Floridsdorf. Above the wooded islands of the Danube the tower of
St. Stephen's rises in the distance. The train crosses the Danube
by an iron bridge i/2 M. long (with the Franz-Josefs-Briicke on the
right, and the Rudolfs-Briicke on the left) and stops at the N.
Station of (247 M.) Vienna (p. 1). Travellers whose destination
is the Leopoldstadt may engage a porter for their luggage, but for
more distant quarters a cab (p. 1) should be taken.