212 Route 33. GORIZIA.
vanni the Timavo, which under the name of Reka disappears near
St. Canzian (p. 199), emerges from a rock after a subterranean course
of 18 M., and falls into the Adriatic li/2 M. lower down. 22 M.
Monfaleone (*Post) has frequented medical baths. — 23 M. Ronehi.
A diligence plies hence to the W. via Cervignano in 372 hrs. to (16 M.)
Aquileia (Osteria al Museo), one of the most important of the ancient
Roman provincial cities, formerly strongly fortified, but destroyed by At-
tila in 452. Though now only a poor village with barely 1000 inhab., it is
of great interest from the antiquities found here. The Museo National*
contains inscriptions, coins, glass, sculptures, etc., including a line torso
of Venus. The Cathedral, built in 1019-42, formerly the metropolitan church
of the patriarchs of Aquileia, is also standing.
A Steamboat plies 4 times daily (40, 20 kr.) from Aquileia through
the Lagune di Grado to Grado (Cervo d'Oro; 'H6t. National; H6t. de la
Ville; Posta; Luna, well spoken of), a small fishing-port on the Adriatic, with
good sea-bathing and a marine hospital for children. In the early middle
ages Grado also was the seat of a patriarch; and a relic of its importance
is seen in the 6th cent, cathedral of S. Eufemia, a basilica with aisles,
marble columns, mosaic pavement, curious old pulpit, etc.
The line skirts the N.W. spurs of the Karst (p. 198) and passes
the stations of Sagrado, Gradisca, and Rubbia.
35.1/2 M. Gorizia, Ger. Gbrz (280 ft.; "Siidbahn Hotel; Gr. Hot.
Suda; "Post; "Cur-Pension Wienerheim, pens. 3-41/2 fl. per day;
Deutsches Haus; Leone; Angelo d'Oro; Rail. Restaurant), the cap¬
ital of a province, and an archiepiscopal see, with 21,900 inhab.,
is charmingly situated on the Isonzo. Pleasant walks and excursions ;
theatre; casino. The cathedral (14th cent.) merits inspection; its
treasury contains several costly Romanesque .works from Aquileia.
The Provincial Museum, adjoining the cathedral, contains natural
history collections, antiquities, etc. (open on Sun., 11-1; at other
times on application). In the Piazza Grande are a tasteful fountain
and the elaborately adorned church of St. Ignatius (17th cent.), built
by the Jesuits, whose former convent is now a barrack. Close by, in
the Via Giardino, is the pretty Giardino Pubblico, with its luxuriant
southern vegetation. In the upper part of the town is the ancient
Caitello of the Counts of Gorizia, now used as a barrack (fine views).
The public bath-establishment is well equipped.
High"above the town, to the N., is the Franciscan convent of Oastag-
navisza (fine view), with the burial-vault (shown on application) of
Charles X. (d. 1836), Henry V. (d. 1883), and other members of (he Bour¬
bon family. — About 7'/a M. to the N. is the Monte Santo (2245 ft.; two inns),
with a pilgrimage-church and a fine view.
The Highboad leads from Gorizia on the left bank of the Isonzo,
via Salcano, to (49 M.) Canale (Inn), where it crosses the river. It
then leads via Ronzina to (59 M.) Volzano (Koffou), and crosses the
Isonzo to (60 M.) Tolmino, Ger. Tolmein (Posta), in the chateau of
which Dante , according to a doubtful tradition, wrote several cantos
of his Divine Comedy.
701/a M. Caporetto, Ger. Karfreit; 77 M. Serpenizza.
83 M. Flitseh (1470 ft.; "Post; Huber), a poor village in a
sequestered basin. On the W. rises the huge Canin group. The road
now quits the Isonzo valley and follows the Koritenza towards the