210 Route 32. TRIESTE. Cathedral.
after his return from Palestine (?). The Areo di Riccardo (PI. C, 5) is
believed by some to be a Roman triumphal arch, but probably be¬
longed to an aqueduct.
Ascending the Via della Cattedrale, we soon reach on the right
the entrance to the Museo Lapidario (PL 9, B 5; custodian op¬
posite, to the left, No. 16, fee30kr.), an open-air collection of
Roman antiquities, in a disused burial-ground.
The fragments placed on the upper terrace were found at Trieste, those
on the lower at Aquileia. Winckelmann, the famous German archaeologist,
who was murdered at Trieste in 1768, is buried here. A small temple
contains a Monument to him, erected in 1832, with an allegorical relief,
and a genius with a medallion-portrait above; on each side are fragments
of an Amazonian sarcophagus. At the lower end is the 'Glyptothek',
containing an inscription from the pedestal of Fabius Severus, a decurio
of Trieste, and heads and other fragments of statues.
The loftily-situated Cathedral of S. Giusto (PI. 3; D, 5) occupies
the site of an ancient Roman temple, part of the foundations and
some of the columns of which are still visible by the tower. The
present building was formed in the 14th cent, by the union of three
contiguous edifices of the 6th cent., an early-Christian basilica, a
baptistery, and a small Byzantine church with a dome. The facade
is adorned with busts of three bishops in bronze. To the right and
left of the portal are six busts in relief from Roman tombs. .Most
of the interior has been whitewashed. In the altar-recess on the
right is Christ between SS. Justus and Servatius; in that to the
left is the Madonna between Gabriel and Michael, with the Apostles
below (7th cent.). Some of the capitals are antique, others Ro¬
manesque. In the Chapel of S. Carlo (first on the left) are buried
all the members of the older line of the Spanish Bourbons. The
projecting terrace commands a fine view of the town and the sea.
Iu the Piazza Lipsia, which is laid out in promenades, is the
Nautical Academy (PL 8; B, 5), on the second floor of which is the
Ferdinand-Maximilian-Museum, containing a complete collection
of the fauna of the Adriatic (Wed. and Sat. 10-1, Sun. 11-1).
On the opposite side of the court, also on the second floor, is the
Municipal Museum (daily 9-1; fee 30 kr.), which contains terra¬
cottas, vases, bronzes, and other small antiquities, chiefly from
Aquileia and Rudia1, Egyptian and Cyprian relics, coins and med¬
als, weapons, and objects relating to Trieste.
At the corner of the Via della fSanita and the Piazza Giuseppina
is the Palazzo Revoltella (PI. 10; B, 5), handsomely fitted up and
embellished with pictures and sculptures, which was bequeathed
to the town by Baron Revoltella, together with a sum of money
for its maintenance (now the Museo Civico Revoltella; adm. daily,
11-2). The Piazza Giuseppina is embellished with a "Monument
to Emp. Maximilian of Mexico (d. 1867), in bronze, by Schilling,
erected in 1875. The unfortunate prince, who was a rear-admiral
in the Austrian navy, resided at Trieste before he undertook his
ill-starred expedition to Mexico.